what and why

edited October 2013 in Baby names
Hi everyone

I'm sure everyone has asked their parents why they gave you your name.

So why not share the story of your name and/or the names of your children and why you gave them that name.

I'll start...

My name is Amy June

Amy came from Amelia which my dad picked but mum didn't like it so they shortened it to Amy and June is my Grandma's name

My son is Jonathan Ian Charles

Jonathan after my Grandad John who never got to meet him :(
Ian after my dad and Charles is my DH's and his dad's middle name :)

Looking forward to reading all your stories

xx

Comments

• Thats a great story :) for both :)

My dad loved the name of the perfume my mom used to wear called "Chloe". My mom loved it too.. so thats where my name comes from lol.

I always named my barbies Alana when I was younger. I heard the name somewhere and always loved it. Thats where my daughter gets her name :)
  • My name is Perla Janeth
    It was supposed to be Victoria because my mom wanted to call me Vicky but my parents couldn't agree on it so that was out the window.

My dad liked Perla and my mom liked Janet and since they couldn't agree on that either they went with both.

My son's name is Adrian Emmanuel.
    Adrian because my husband and i like it.
    Emmanuel because it means God is with us and we strongly believe that :)
  • My name is Phallon, my mom got it off a TV show called dynasty but spelled it differently

My first daughters name is harmony Nicole, harmony because my husband is a music enthusiast and Nicole because his 2 sisters middle names is nicole

This girl will be named Skylar Michelle, I really don't know how Skylar came about lol we were just laying around throwing out names and he said Skylar and it stuck, Michelle because my most favorite and dearest uncles name is Michael so that's my commemoration to him.
  • I have an older cousin named Nancy and my dad liked it so they named me after her lol

My 2yr olds name is Zorian, we came up with it after we liked Dorian but wanted something more unique. It means "happy" in Latin and it fits him perfectly.

My LO's name is Lucian, I happened to stumble upon it somewhere and really liked it, I originally wanted it to be spelled "Lucien" but we thought it would be confusing to pronounce, especially in Spanish. It is also a Latin name and means "Light".
  • My mom said that she saw my name on a diaper bag at her Drs office. Although she was going to spell it like kaylee.

My daughters name is brynlie. I saw it in a baby bane book but changed the spelling to be a combination of my first and middle name

My son wasn't named after anyone lol(his name is Cory)
  • Well I was adopted at age of 11 and my name had different translations so my parents let me decide what I wanted so I went with Jules.
    Then my daughter Scarlett Grace although my hubby and I both really love the name it's feminine, beautiful, not overly common to us. But we really thought of it from this song we always listened to especially while dating! Grace we wanted to do something biblical that had good flow.
    Then for this baby were doing Addeline Joy same reasons as our first and we wanted it to be same length first name so going to do it with the double d. :)
  • My parents liked Deborah and also in the bible.
    My daughters name is Gabriella the only name my hubby and I loved and could agree on we didn't know anyone with this name.
    My first son Paul Anthony jr was named after my husband
    My second son Anthony was named after the son we lost.
    Not sure what we are going to name this baby not sure if its a boy or girl
  • My name is Francesca Marie after my moms two grandmothers. My son is Dominic, because I like the name, and his middle name is Michael after my dad and hubby. This baby will be Anthony, once again because I like the name, and his middle name will be Joseph after my favorite uncle. I wanted my kids to have normal names because for me growing up with a weird name really sucked and I didn't want them to go through what I went through.
  • My name Virginia Jean because my dad wanted to name his first son Archibald and my mom said no way! And said she would name me if I was a boy and he can name me if I was a girl. So I was a girl and he named me after my great grandmother.

My daughter Lillian Rose because my husband and I couldn't decide on a name so we sat with our movie and books in front of us naming characters then we got to Harry potter and he said Lily and I said I actually like that but Lily is too kiddish for when she gets older so we decided on Lillian and nicknamed her Lily. And Rose is for his grandmother.
  • My name is Lanette Rae. Lanette is my moms middle name, that she ways wanted to go by & Rae was my great grandfathers middle name.

My daughters name is Keegan Lanette. Hubby's and his dad's middle name is keeton, so we tried to find a "girly" version and found Keegan. Lanette being my first name and my moms middle name

My sons name is Troy Alexander. Troy was both of my husbands grandfathers names. And Alexander is my maiden name.
  • my name is Jamie Lee (first, no middle name). my father was sooooo original, he decided to name me after, you guessed it, Jamie Lee Curtis. 8-|

my daughters name is Lily Ann (also first, no middle name). in all the dreams i had leading up to when i found out the sex, i always drempt i was having a boy until one. there was a woman holding a baby, said it was my daughter, Lily Ann. after i found out i was having a girl, i gave my daughters father no choice and named her that.
  • @newmama16 ha! You sound like me. I didn't give hubby much of a choice either. I basically picked out like 3 names i absolutely loved and let him choose from there lol. I tried to let him be more involved in the name search, but he was playing too much and the time was getting closer and well we all know you never make a pregnant hormonal woman mad so i went ahead and let him choose out of what i liked. He didn't like choosing the way he did but i threaten to not let him choose at all lol.
  • I chose about 3 boy names, cus I was expecting a boy, and he picked 3 girl names, cus he wanted a girl, and then when I had that dream I trumped his choices and we went with Lily Ann lol @perly
  • My first name Mikaela just came out of a baby book. My middle name supposedly came from a star trek episode with a princess Rashawn and my mom loved it but my dad said she got the name totally wrong.

My son is Talon Joel. Joel is my dads name and I always wanted my first son to have that as a middle name. I just like the name Talon and it flowed well with Joel..kinda based off my brother Allen Joel.

My daughter is Cassidy Rose. She was unnamed almost until we left the hospital but my boyfriend said Cassidy just came to him and it fit. Rose for me is after my best friends middle name but its also my boyfriends sisters middle name.
  • My name is Starr and I was named after a character in a book my mom read when she was little. My daughter is Tessa Grace. Tessa was the only first name we could agree on (but I love it) and Grace is my bf's grandma's name.
  • My name is melody Elizabeth
    My dad was on the road and every time my mom said a name and my dad would say he liked it and my mom would change it then she said melody and my dad said he did not like it (but he did) she kept it and Elizabeth is her middle name..

Makynzi Taylor is my oldest name and we chose it because we were at my hubby mom's cancer treatment and the lady at the desk was named Mackenzie and he had never heard that name and he really liked it and Taylor is his dad's middle name..

Marcii Lyn is my youngest and my husband heard the name some were and loved it and Lyn is a family name and it went great together