my 4 month old caught my cold

edited November 2013 in Babies Health
She has a runny nose and a cough. Her dr is closed till monday, what should I go get for her?

Comments

• Oh no well for the cough maybe little honey with her milk that still cote the throat. Funny nose unfortunately you can just use the saline spray and keep sucking it out. She's so young that can't really give her much yet.
  • I thought u can't give honey to kids under 1 @jules
  • NO honey!!!
  • I give my kids a warm bath and Johnson and Johnson vapor bath. I put Vicks on my kids but I forget if you can do that with a 4 month old. I also use the plug in with vapor.
  • No honey yet. No Vicks either yet. Sleep baby elevated on an incline like a swing or rocker, saline drops for suctioning nose and a vaporizer is pretty much the only thing you can do.
  • Well the all natural medicine they have for lo has honey in it. But guess u better not better be safe. Hopefully the vapor works! And ur lo feels better soon!
  • @jules is the medicine for babies younger then a year? It is a very serious thing for babies under a year to not have honey. Everyone has their own opinions, I just hope you are aware of the risks involving honey and babies.
  • @jules you aren't supposed to give children under age 2 honey because of botulism. It's very dangerous.
    @adriens_mommy try putting LO in a steamy bathroom or using a vaporizer.
  • The botulism risk in honey only applies for unprocessed, raw honey - the stuff they pull out of the honey comb. The honey you get at the grocery store or in medicine is pasteurized and perfectly safe. :)
  • @my2boys I never said it was my option. I didn't know that about honey since my daughter never been sick. The only time I thought she was I bought her all natural medicine that was she appropriate and asked my sister whose a doctor it was perfectly fine. But she ended up having roseola anyways not cold so I didn't even have to use it.
    @fantastic well good thing I never have :) I'm guessing the stuff in medicine I bought must have been pasteurized like @ourlittlenugget said. since honey isn't safe most likely they wouldn't make it for children under 1.
  • I didnt realize she was too young for medicine. I didnt give her anything yet ive just been suctioning her nose alot. Shes crying alot and not sleeping she constantly wants to breastfeed, she spent the entire night laying with me latched on. Thanks for the advice ladies
  • My store-bought honey is pasteurized and still has a warning label on it for not giving it to children under 1. @Ourlittlenugget
  • @adriens_mommy oh poor thing I'm sorry hope it passes soon. Good thing she's eating well tough I'm sure all that good breasmilk is helping.
  • It's a cya @fate :) Not saying anyone should give their baby honey if they're uncomfortable with it, but the risk is a bit misconceived. Honey actually has antibacterial properties and can be very good for illness and injury as homeopathic treatment. :)

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2005/aug/25/health.society

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/infant-botulism/HQ00854
  • Thanks for the links @Ourlittlenugget. That cleared it up for me. :)