my son doesn't talk

edited December 2013 in Ages & Stages
My son turned 2 In Oct. And he still doesn't talk, he says maybe 10 words and idk what to do. At his 2 year check up his Dr said he doesn't talk because he doesn't have to...ok well My daughter was saying that much by the time she was one. Dr also says I need to make him talk but how do i go about that because he just gets mad? Im sure there's no advice you can give me but i just felt like talking about it

Comments

• Mine don't really talk either turned 2 in September he only says a handful of words
  • It's important to remember that all children advance at different paces. So while your first spoke a lot, it's ok that this one does not. My son turned 2 in September and only had a handful of words he could say...now a few months later is vocabulary has exploded! He can say lots and even puts multiple words together. So it will happen, I promise! I help Oliver along by communicating everything I see or do. "Here is your breakfast" "here is your hat" "can you say hat?" Then repeat it a few times to try and get him to say it. If he refuses that's ok! Don't push. Make it fun! Show him flash cards with simple easy pictures on it and say "this is a dog.can you say dog?" Your LO will get it! Soon you won't be able to get him to be quiet lol.
  • I also want to point out that Oliver's attention span for the flash cards is very limited, so will your LOs be...so don't get frustrated! Even if it's only for a few minutes a few times a day, it's ok! We have a chalk board that I will draw 1 shape on a day and that is our shape if the day. The whole day I will show him pictures of different things shaped like that. Circle = sun, ball, eye etc...he has learned the shapes diamond, square, circle, triangle, heart and star like that!
  • edited December 2013
    I agree with @Ashley_smashley My daughter turned 2 in August and is barely starting to talk. I even took her to a speech therapist and she said she was fine.
  • My son doesn't talk much either. He says dada, my baba, bless you, and thank you. That's it. My daughter was saying 100+ words and phrases at his age (16 months). He is so smart though, he's a builder and thinker. I dunno what I would do if I had two toddlers asking me 400 questions a day anyways. LOL!
  • Do you have an older child that is semi close in age? My sister and I are 23 months apart and I didn't talk until age 3. My sister and I had our own language and most of the time asked for what I needed/wanted without me having to say a word.
  • my son tured 2 in oct also he doesnt talk much either but it kinda dont bother me cause i know hes trying like he knows hes animals and when he sees something he trys to say it i try not to get him fustrated on things when i teach him i got him the abc mouse he loves it but were still new at it i show him flash cards i also got him a tablet which i think helped also cause theres so many learning games on there just keep trying every kid is different it takes time
  • Aww thanks ladies! I feel much better knowing that there are a lot of 2 year olds not really talking, I was getting worried and when i googled it they were saying to take him to speech therapy but i was wondering why his dr wouldn't of said that. I do say almost everything i see or i am showing him and I think he tries he just get so mad!
  • My son turned 2 in October and he's a chatter box. But he goes to daycare and I swear as soon as he started school his vocabulary exploded.
  • My son talks up a storm. Puts sentences together. My oldest took her longer my other friends kids were saying more words then him at first then out of no where he is a chatterbox and the other kids don't say as much as him. Every kid is different and think its to early to be worried some kids are stubborn. My son didn't want to walk we knew he could since 9 months but faught it but we forced him at 11 months he cried every time we got him to walk he just didn't want to.
  • edited December 2013
    My son is 18 months and only says maybe 4-5 words. His pediatrian sent him off to speech therapy. This was his first week. I hope he gets the hang of it. My daughter talked up a storm at his age. I didn't think anything was wrong until his last appointment when she brought it up then I got worried
  • I just happened to google pregly

1) does he make purposeful noise, just nonsense, nothing at all?
    2) flap his hand, stare at spinning thing, spin himself, stare at lights?
    3) most importantly answer to his name most of the time?
    4) "stim" on things like wheels, rainmaker.

These are signs of autism and I just went through this. My son will almost act normal he just turned two, still nonverbal.
  • In speech therapy you have a ball roll or toss the ball say ball serveral times. Do not say this is a ball can you say ball. That is to many words for someone who maybe having trouble with them. You say roll ball, yay ball, good rolling the ball.
  • He answers to his name and he says sone stuff like he knows ball or ill tell him get his shoes and he will get them and say shoe or if he wants milk he says milk, and bye bye, night night, more, he says like 10-15 words but I'm just worried cause when my daughter was 2 she was using sentences @candy101
  • Yeah answering to his name is the most important. Also if you ever feel like he could have a hearing problem that is a huge sign of a mental issue (as long as he doesn't have a hearing problem) if he is good with those two things I would relax. Boy aren't as smart as girls we all know that.lol