Dr or hospital?

edited December 2013 in Pregnant
My Ob switched hospital affiliations and I'm freaking out. I'm ttc and love love love my Ob, I trust him more than any of my Drs but I hate this new hospital he delivers at. I really trust the staff at the hospital that he used to be affiliated with and haven't had any positive experiences at the new one. Having a great Dr is super important but so is a great nursing team when its show time. I wish I could see my Dr and then show up at the other hospital when its go time!!

Comments

• My friend followed her Dr where ever he went. I did to I drive 2hrs after I moved but I had my second early and bad circumstances but found that I had great choice 15 mins away better then I had before just didn't know it. I would recommend checking out other drs to see if you find one you like that goes to the hospital you want. Worth looking into ahead of time
  • @debs I have been looking up some other Drs but my gut is telling me to stick with him. This new hospital is way closer to my house but I truly loved everything about both of my birthing experiences at the other hospital. Lets face it...when its time to deliver the nurses do 98% of the work so that's what is making it hard. I always joke and say that the Dr plays catcher haha
  • Well I agree try keep looking if not then I would stick with my ob. It's weird bc with my first the nurse thing was so true they did most the work. This time bc we moved I had great ob and nothing at the hospital got done without his ok from the moment I got there before I was technically admitted he was already contacted, his notes were looked at. Then once I was admitted he was there and did all the stuff himself came to check me and everything during the delivery the nurses were just doing what he was telling them to which were just getting things ready and cleaning up basically. And all his instructions were being followed to the t after u could tell he was very well respected around there and he personally came to check me to release me. With many of the stuff with my first ob things just got message over this one came did it himself..so I am totally with you on wanting to stick with the ob.
  • It's true the nurses do everything, plus if your OB isn't on call when you go into labor, would he even be there?
  • edited December 2013
    @Jules my ob is really involved as well and I also know two of the other Drs in the practice bc I do their hair. It had to be scary moving and starting over with a new Dr!! I'm also leaning towards staying with my Ob bc he knows my history from my miscarriages to my anxiety and post partum melt downs and he is super supportive, doesn't go give me crap ab my medicine and really cares ab our families well being. Geez I wish I didn't hate the new hospital. I went there one time when I was 8 weeks prego was having a mis and the dumb fools in the ER told me I wasn't even prego...I guess I shouldn't judge l&d ny the ER but I want to know that if god forbid something happens that my ob couldn't handle, we would be in good hands @ourlittlenugget my ob didn't deliver either of my girls but my client was on call so she did. I also had induction dates with my ob that I never lasted until. The nurses seriously did everything with both of my deliveries and the Dr just guided the girls out.
  • Yea I would stick with the ob of I were in your shoes. And most er are very very different than labor and delivery. I've had bad experiences down stairs compared to upstairs. So I think it would be best to at least have a good doc I your side.
  • edited December 2013
    Oh that's a good point about your history and everything. I didn't think of that. In that case I'd stay. Maybe talk to your doc about the hospital situation and see if he has any suggestions that might ease your mind?
  • @Jules and @ourlittlenugget I think its safe to say that I am going to stick with my Ob. I am going to address my concerns ab the hospital with him. On a positive note, I've had several friends deliver here and they loved it plus its only 5 mins from my house instead of 25 and I can see it out the window of my salon!! Now to get prego...that's tough with two little ones cruising around haha but I'm determined!!
  • Good plan and best of luck!
  • Can you do a hospital tour? The other areas can be totally different than l&d

With my first the hospital I chose had a GREAT ER, And the triage for l&d the nurses were amazing also. However when it came down to l&d nurses they were HORRIBLE I had the WORST birthing experience with my first because of the nurse. She wouldnt let me press the epi button, she stood after her shift to make sure I continue natural when I didnt want to, and she used johnsons baby shampoo as a lubricant for dialation checks not to mention the huge diamond rings she and the rest of the staff wore under their gloves for dialation checks, The nurse started to argue and get loud with my mom becausr my mom was asking "too many" questions. Thats just a bit of my experiance. It was absolutely horrifying. But they did have a great nicu that my baby had to be in for 4 days. So it was worth the pain. Im not delivering there ever again. Pretty sure when it was over my mom got the nurse fired. Apparently I wasnt the only one she did that with.
  • @mommylovessparkle oh my goodness I know you were crawling out of your skin!!! I'm so scared of something like that happening. How dare her go against your wishes and go mom for laying down the law!! At the old hospital I already know what nurses I would have bc they would come in for me. The NICU thing is a huge plus. Both of these hospitals have only a level III. With my first our initial nurse was a nightmare and thank god her shift ended ab an hour into it!!
  • edited December 2013
    Oh big time! It was horrible because in that situation I was helpless and depending on the nurses and while I had alot of family there they couldn't say anything in fear that the nurse would take it out on me.
    I say if you have a good hospital stick with it, but then again your gut feeling isnt ever wrong so if you feel the need to stay with him then stay. Your in a tricky situation since the nurses do mostly all the work.
    Thank god the nurse that was a nightmare left! Horrible nurses have no idea how much they affect ladies in labor. There should be a law that they cant be mean or something.. lol. I wish.
  • @mommylovessparkle they really don't seem to understand that one crappy attitude can ruin it all.Its a happy time for us...how can someone be anything other than ecstatic knowing that a baby is coming into this world!?!? I couldnt imagine!! I would not know what to do if I had been in your situation, my mouth (which runs in the family) seems to get me in trouble but you don't want to make a bad situation worse by making an already mean person mad. I agree that they should definitely have to undergo personality testing to assure that they are nice, warm, fuzzy people!! Haha if only we could make that happen!! I'm going to talk it over with my Dr more, let him know what I am worried ab and see what he can say to ease my mind. He will prob offer to let me in for an "informal" tour when he is on call one day, knowing him. I would look like a jerk showing up not yet prego for a formal hospital tour haha!