need to make decision on my dog

We have a great Dane 1 1/2 years old we have two kids almost 5 and 3yr old and hopefully another to be here in may. We got rid of our last dog mini daschund because he didn't get a long with my husband it was bad. So yes we got another dog to try it again we have spent a lot of money on this dog he has had health issues we were taking him to the vet week after week to find out after 6months and a lot of money he has a sensitive belly so he has to be on special dog food 130 a month just to feed him. He chews out of his kennel in our house its like 6x10 its really big but still is bad. We weren't suppose to have anymore kids so we got the dog. Well my hubby and this dog don't get along so I have to do everything for the dog shower vet trips. And vet trips aren't easy they have to muzzle him he gets mouthy with the people he hates strangers and people holding him down. So pregnant and doing all this is hard. I'm feeling like we should find him a new home. My hubby said he would try and help but feels like he will make it worse. I don't want to be selfish and keep him but giving another dog away is hard. He really isn't a bad dog we took him to training. I having a hard time on what to do. :/

Comments

• Well it's hard but the dog will be very happy with family that has time and one that bonds will with him. I had to do that this past summer. My hubby got us a dog and she was good but since I was pregnant it was crazy work for me with toddler and baby on the way. And like you things were adding up I was trying to save for the baby so that wasn't working. And my toddler does great with dogs my parents have one but this dog was freaking her out she wouldn't even go down on the floor to play stayed on the coach unless the dog was in the canel. Which wasn't fair for the dog in my opinion. It was hard cause my hubby really wanted the dog. But I had to do what was best for the dog..we still stay in contact with the family friend that has her and she's doing great. I'm glad we have her away.
  • My kids right now get a long with the dig and my daughter has kinda got a attached to him at night he now sleeps in her room on his dog bed. She wanted someone sleeping in her room.she still has a baby monitor in her room and he never bothers her she sleeps with door open so he is able to leave if he wants but doesn't. My hubby won't want the baby on the ground if dog is in the house and I agree he is a great Dane and over 100lbs and growing still. My brothers wife's aunt is interested I him. We are getting tight on money and need to save. And can't really change is food since he has belly issues all the ones he can be on are like 55$ for 24lbs. I just hate thinking about not having him around my hubby isn't always him and feel safe with the dog
  • Its going to be hard but prob best to find the pup a home. Sounds like your hubs and dogs don't get along...kinda like me and cats. Its tough bc of the kids but prob best for everyone to find a new home especially if you guys aren't comfortable with him around the baby. I'm sorry that you're going through this!!
  • @kenzie0713 my hubby isn't a dog person at all he isn't a animal person at all. I just hate that my kids aren't going to experience having a pet. I just don't like dogs in the house while a baby is on the ground don't need him to accidentally step on the baby. Even with our lil dog he wasn't allowed to run around with my last baby in the ground. I think its going to be hard on my oldest we got rid of our last dog when she was 3 and still talks about him and wanting to get him back. I blame it in my hubby I told him I wanted a baby he said no I'll get you a dog he should gave just gave in then because now we might have both
  • I completely agree ab protecting your baby from a dog, they don't know their own strength or size sometimes!! I have two dogs and dont leave my littles unattended with them bc lets be honest dogs are still animals and kids can be rough haha not a great combo!! Its hard when the hubs isn't on board and the animals can sense it. What ab a cat? Cats don't care if you like them or not, kids love them and they are a bit less maintenance.
  • edited January 2014
    @dens my hubs isn't a huge animal lover, he is an "animal liker" I'm an animal lover..it has caused plenty of fights
  • I don't like cats neither does my hubby. And my son who is three is to rough. My in laws have cats and my son puts them in headlocks and squeezes them. My hubby is allergic to animal fur which our great Dane doesn't shed to much. He gets around cats he starts having congestion and long hair dogs. My daughter is showing signs of the same thing but wants a pet.
    My hubby said we aren't going to make a decision right now we will see how things go. It also sucks only one vehicle my dog can get into is my excursion which has a lift kit on it and I use to have to help him get in there I can't do that now :( I got no help since we are 2hrs from friends and family. I like having a dog for a sense of security we have other things for security but the more security the better. :/
  • I'm not a cat person either, I'm allergic, so are my girls. You are in such a tough spot...I would say to do what makes your family the most happy and secure and if the hubs doesn't like it too bad haha happy wife happy life. Plus your daughter is attached!! It sounds like you want to be able to keep the pup. Good luck!!
  • I want to be able to. I don't want to get rid of him then end up getting another dog like we did before but maybe we aren't a animal family or need our kids to be a lot older before another pet. I grew up always having couple digs and never having issues with my sings my hubby grew up with dog after dog getting rid of them and getting bitten . @kenzie0713 thank for the advice