does any one know about settlements

my dad has a settlement cause he got hurt from he's job he was married to my mom at the time and if he dies it goes to my mom and if she dies it comes to us kids from what I'm mom says so my dad past n Jan and we did talk to him about the checks but he would say don't worry about it when I die keep cashing them like if I'm still alive so he said everything will b ok cashing them at he's friends store so after he's passing we used one to pay for funerals expensive s and the other two my mom got so now the guy said he doesn't want to cash them anymore unless my mom calls the settlement place and tells them my dad past and is it ok if she still can cash them fyi the checks say my dad's name and my mom's name so any other store won't cash them cause the checks say and on it so I'm scared for my mom cause if they ask her weres the 3 checks at after he's passing is she gonna get in trouble any info well b help full

Comments

• Well I'm assuming if her name is on it as well then it should be okay ad long as she gave you the okay to cash them to use for the funeral and stuff.
  • @Jules I was wondering weres every one at its so dead hear I have found a new app to vent but it's so different I dnt know any one so it sucks

see I'm thinking things should b fine right her name is on it to but no one's gonna want to cash it cause there needs to b 2 signatures to cash so when my mom calls the settlement place will things go Smooth or they make a big deal and ask weres the 3 checks and y didn't she report my dad being dead
  • I'm thinking since he did pass away they will not give her hard time about him not signing obviously. And as far as them asking why she didn't report I mean did she even know she was supposed to report does she have any documents that state she is to report? If not then there is nothing they can do. She can simply say she did not know it was necessary especially since all births and deaths or recorded in the county that's how other business find out and stuff I don't see how it's her responsibility. But that's just an opinion
  • @Jules she never said she had to report all she says is when he dies she gets it and my cousin has the paper work so when she gets back from vacation my mom's gonna talk with her I just hope there's no hassle and my mom does get the $ cause she needs it
  • I think she will. From everything u have shared I do not think she has anything to worry about. Keep me updated. Best wishes and sorry for the loss.
  • I think she will be fine to be getting the money still, but the problem will be who was signing his name to those checks. It could be a financial company who gets pissed and presses charges for them cashing them without his signature too or press charges on her for false identification for signing his name. They could be assholes and her get in trouble, but I really dont think so I'm sure they deal with his all the time.
  • @Jules Kkk
    @ My2Boys I did but I anit going down for it she well f that
  • @Jules Kkk
    @ My2Boys I did but I anit going down for it she well f that
  • I believe survivors are not entitled to injury settlements, unless it was a lump sum payout that is current invested and dispersed in annuity installments. I believe your dad may have known this that is why he said to keep cashing them as if he was still alive. This may be why the store owner refuses because he's liable and may be at risk for fraud.
  • @Mijita my dad was just a pain men period always think every thing will b fine we just got to get the paper work and read it the paper works says after passing moms get it so idk im just going by what she tells me and the store dont want to deal with it any more cause he doesnt want to lose money but i dnt know why he would tell my dad things well be ok then now hes changing up
  • If you have it in writing, all the better. He's probably just being cautious and trying to avoid losing his licence. I'm sure he's not being spiteful, just cautious. He's jeopardizing his livelihood and most likely wants to just do things by the book. I wouldn't be too hard on him.
  • edited May 2014
    @ Mijita oh no I'm not hard on him I totally understand him
  • @ Mijita oh no I'm not hard on him I totally understand him