gaining weight

2»

Comments

• @jules I was induced due to depression and baby being big (worst decision I made). They turned the pitocin up very high and didn't tell me so I was having back to back contractions and only 1 1/2 for about 8 hours. Finally gave into the epidural even though I wasn't very far along. I had a 23 hour Labor and was throwing up the whole time and had a high fever that they couldn't get down. Damien never dropped and I never got past 8cm. Dr told me I had to have a c section and I didn't have the energy to fight. During the c section I continued to throw up (throwing up while on your back with your feet above your head is horrible btw) and my epidural started wearing off before the surgery was done but the wouldn't do anything about it.... Being able to feel things made me even more sick to my stomach. Afterwards I was burning up so much that having my son touch me was miserable. Then I became hypothermic and they had to put some heating blanket on me and I became very vocal about my misery that they drugged me to put me to sleep. Then my iron was so low I kept passing out and needed a blood transfusion. Then I ended up getting a uterine infection. So I was pretty doped up for two weeks... So I don't remember those first two weeks very well.
    Praying that since this is a repeat section recovery and everything will go much smoother.
  • Oh and I completely understand how only a few pounds is a lot! Which is why how much I've gained looks absolutely horrid on me!
  • I get sad when @smcox tells her labor story and very angry with the Dr and whole situation that could have been prevented :(
  • @smcox That is so infuriating! I'm curious, how big was your baby? With you being so small it's very possible you could've pushed your baby out at 8cm. I'm so sorry you had to go through all that. I can understand depression can make it harder to make decisions. Plus your dr should have informed you more of the risks.
  • @smcox I think I remember u sharing ur story before and once again I'm so so sorry for the experience u had. I hope this time around it goes much better and I have feeling it will. U won't have problem with feeling anything since u will not have drugs coming off since it is planed ahead of time which hopefully will avoid the being sick park and I'm sure all the throwing up and the pain for so long before the epi and after it wore off is what caused the fever then hypothermia. If things are done right in start u will probbaly avoid all those. I can't believe it was bad and I really think in ur situation most would plan a c section in advance. That's very smart of you! I can't imagine going through that and want to to it again. I wanted second baby right away main reason bc first time around everything went soo well I don't think it couldn't have gone any better and I hope u have an experience like that this time around.
  • Damien was 9.8 pounds and they think this one will be bigger too. My Dr was absolutely horrible! I hated her, she ignored me when I was concerned about my weight gain, when I wasn't feeling Damien move she kept blowing me off and then one day laughed and said to get over it... The list goes on. She was already my second obgyn for that pregnancy so I didn't want to change again. I've never had a good obgyn experience. The one I had with my miscarriage was even worse and my d&c was one of the worst experiences of my life and she ended up getting her license taken away 3 months after my surgery.... So obviously I wasn't the only one with bad practice from her. So this time I went with a mid wife and am having a completely different experience. The obgyn paired with my mid wife isn't the best, but I only have to deal with her during surgery and mt husband will be a better advocate this time. We both went into the last pregnancy knowing nothing, this time is much different :)
  • And I should have known better with my last obgyn cuz she was pushing for c section since the very first visit. Oh well, lesson learned. Oh and after Damien I told everyone that I never wanted too be pregnant again.... But low and behold, Damien only 16 months and I'm 6 months pregnant lol and it was planned. @jules @bahamamama4828 @wilsomom
  • Oh wow that's a horrible first experience. I'm glad things are better this time around!
  • edited March 2013
    That's weird I wonder why ur ob was saying that about the c section so early on? Ya I can't blam u but we naturelly forget the exact pain its how its made to be that way we want more lol. And congrats on this one that was fast I wish it would happen to me already.@smcox
  • @smcox thank you for sharing! My firstborn's birth was so traumatic, only now (3.5 years later) am I actually able to write about it (still in the works, I tear up every time I go to type...but the ptsd symptoms are gone). There are so many things I wish I knew then and had done differently that may have affected my decisions and possibly the outcome (his extreme prematurity). Fortunately, while still traumatic (pitocin...which didn't bother me, 4 hours of pushing, and a violent forceps delivery...t.g. she had no complications from) my daughter's birth was still so much better than my son's. If we ever have a #3, I know even more about what to refuse/demand and how to be assertive with doctors (I've never had a problem challenging "authority"...especially those in just a perceived position of authority...a pregnant woman is the authority on her pregnancy; I just have less trust in doctors now). The reason you may have been so sick is from the opiates in a traditional epidural. You may want to consider an epi without opiates (which, I believe is called a spinal? @captivated could probably tell you more about that). If you've ever gotten nauseated from taking 1-2 Vicodin, I would highly suspect the pain meds (as opposed to the nerve-blocker) in the epi for causing your nausea.
  • ^ oh, and Brian was a super-advocate the second time around (guys learn a lot too!)
  • @math_mommy yes, taking pain meds makes me sick. I'm allergic to vicodin so I usually get prescribed percoset.... But still will make me nauseous half the time. I'm definitely doing a c section this time around, just not risking not being able to be aware enough to take care of my baby so maybe I'll ask about the spinal block. Thanks! I would love to hear about your birth story, sorry it was so horrible! :( I don't fully trust Drs anymore either! I question everything now, before Damien I had never done that. I figured, they are the ones with the phd so they know everything..... so dumb! It took three different pediatricians and three different diagnoses to figure out what the rash all over my son was. My poor kid went through a week of antibiotic cream,another week of steroid cream, and well over $500 to find out it was just viral and there was nothing that could be done. Just needed to run it's course. Pissed me off beyond belief! I hate that I had put steroids and antibiotics on my son needlessly! And now that I've written a book I'm gonna stop typing lol