Pushed back circumcision date.

edited October 2013 in Babies
His circumcision was scheduled today at 9:30 this morning but around 7 o'clock we got a phone call from the hospital telling us they had to reschedule to next week because the wasn't going to be in today. I should've asked for an earlier date. This is making me NOT want to get him circumcised. The longer we wait the more nervous I get. I want to get this over with. He'll be three weeks when he gets circumcised. SMH.

Comments

• I felt the exact same way, when I called to schedule it they wanted us to wait weeks, I let them have it and they gave me an appt for a few days later.
  • edited October 2013
    @ExcitedForOctober: I'm thinking about calling them back to schedule an earlier date. I can't wait another week.
  • Maybe you could call back and ask for an earlier date?
  • You should. Tell them this should have been done before he was discharged from the hospital.
  • edited October 2013
    @sands3 & @ExcitedForOctober: I just called and they said they only do circumcisions on Tuesdays. WTF? I don't think this hospital does circumcisions before they leave the hospital. If they do it was probably due to him having jaundice. We were released on Wednesday when his levels went down.
  • Oh that stinks. Both my boys had it done before we left the hospital.
  • @sands3: Tell me about it. I'm gonna ask why they didn't do it before he left the hospital and if the jaundice had anything to do with it.
  • My son had jaundice and got it done. I know every place is different. Have you tried to call the babies Dr office maybe they can refer you to local hospital to get it done sooner.
  • @debs: I guess all hospitals are different. I'm gonna call again later.
  • That's annoying. It will be ok though. I mean if it were me I would be thinking its better week later than 10 years down the road like my poor hubby..can't even imagine the discomfort he had to go through. But hope they can find something next Tuesday rather than later!
  • I agree with @jules. Don't get discouraged. It sucks that they are rescheduling on you but its better to get it done now than later on when it'll hurt more and take a little longer to heal. (I have a nephew who got circumcised at 8 years old and he was so miserable)

However, you should follow your instincts too. If you feel like its something you don't want to do anymore, then that's fine too. If he chooses to have it done later, then he can worry about that then.
  • Maybe another dr could do it? My son had a bit of jaundice and got it done before we left the hospital. I hope they can get you in soon.
  • All hospitals are different, mine doesn't do them prior to discharge. We had to wait till he was two weeks old and had it done in a ob office.
  • @jules, @perly @PumpkinCupcake0307, @Jessibear: My hospital doesn't do circumcision prior to discharge at all. They like to wait at least two weeks or whenever the parents are ready. You have up to a year to get your son circumcised after they don't do it anymore. You have to go to another hospital. This is what they told me.

I have a date. Next Tuesday, October 8th. So that's good. I still want him to get circumcised. I'm just pissed it got pushed back.

I had a cousin who didn't get her sons done until he was 5yo. He was born at a catholic hospital that doesn't do circumcisions. Everyone told her to go to another hospital while he was still young but she didn't listen. We don't know why she waited so long. He got circumcised at 5 and he was in pain and wouldn't pee. He ended up getting a UTI and bladder infection.
  • Well that's not too bad the time will fly by and it will get done. It's frustrating for sure but unfortunately not much you can do..im sorry :(
  • Not related to this post but since I'm not on often and your other post is closed I'll mention it here.

What I did for my son after he was circumcised besides constantly cleaning the area as soon as he peed was I used cotton cloth diapers until it was healed. Not all the time but more often then not. Mostly after I knew... Okay, thought, he was done popping. It let the area breath. If I'm remembering correctly it only took him five days to heal. I just used the cheap white ones with pins, but I sewed velcro dots on the corners instead of using pins.

I know not everyone likes cloth diapers but I didn't see anyone offer that as a suggestion. If you're still accepting them.
  • @Máthair: Thank you. I don't know about cloth diapering. I thought about it but we decided just to go with disposables.

@jules: I hope so. True.
  • @mathair i don't know much about cloth either, what if I put a piece of cotton clothe over his circumsition with Vaseline underneath? I'm not due until December but am already stressing out about taking care of a penis
  • My Dr said to coat it with vasoline so it doesn't stick to the diaper. The hospital when I had Jack gave me a bunch of pre-vasolined gauze pads to wrap around it
  • @Kimberly4411: We're in the same boat.

@sands3: They did the same with my cousins son. I also got gauze pads from when we raided the pediatricians office.
  • It's super easy to care for. Just keep vasoline on it while it's healing. Like glob it on thick.
  • If you use a tube of vaseline or a&d ointment, then you can just squeeze it on him and the diaper without having to smear it on with your finger or cotton pad or whatever so it won't hurt as much.
  • @Wilsomom: I have a lot of a&d ointment from the baby shower.
  • That's good, it's what I always use. And if you put some one the diaper itself it just makes extra sure the diaper doesn't stick to him.
  • edited October 2013
    Only put the gauze and vasoline ointment if it is not the plastibell circumcision, if it is then you don't need to.put anything on it, only pat it with a washcloth with water. With my first son he didn't have the plastibell one and I did use the gauze but with my second son he did have that one done and they told me NO gauze or ointments, it heals much quicker that way and his penis never stuck to the diaper, but don't worry, they will give u detailed.instructions on aftercare.
  • @Wilsomom: That's a good idea.

@ExcitedForOctober: I kind of hope they do the plastibell. If not I have extra gauze, vaseline and ointment at home.
  • My son's gauze fell 3 times that same day he got circumcised so i was told to not put a gauze on anymore and to just put vaseline on at every diaper change. That's why i told you to just pack it on there. Like i said before, that what i did and he healed very fast and it was very easy to take care of.
  • I just covered it in Vaseline every time and it healed super fast.
  • @perly: I'm not fond of gauze period, so I'll probably do the same. I think gauze pads is the reason why it takes things so long to heal.

@Frantastic: How fast?
  • I feel like it was less than a week but my hospital did it before we were discharged when he was like a day old. My husband went with him and said he slept through the whole thing.