Reflux?

edited December 2013 in Babies
How do you know if your baby has reflux? My new born spits up a lot. He's ebf so I'm not sure why he's spitting up so much. I change his diaper he cries and spits up. I change his outfit he cries and spits up. He also isn't very good at burping. I'm just not sure what the deal is, I don't remember my first spitting up so much.

Comments

• I dealt with this with our youngest. They diagnosed her with GERD and then finally realized she has a cows milk intolerance not GERD. Does he cry while spitting up? We found that my daughter did not which told me it wasn't painful and caused me to make the Dr dig deeper. She was on Zantac briefly but didn't notice a change and found out its only been approved for use in children for 7 years so I yanked her off of it! What is the Dr saying? How old is he?
  • I haven't talked to the dr yet but he's only 8 days old. He does cry when he spits up. He is really hard to burp and seems really gassy. I'm not sure if its colic or reflux but either way it's stressing me out. @kenzie0713
  • It can be reflux what you described my friend went through the exact same thing my son had reflux but didn't find out till he was around 3 months he never got upset when he got sick he smiled.
  • @frantastic I didn't realize how young he was. Congrats!! It could definitely be reflux. Reflux can be a tricky thing it seems like instead of saying colic they now say reflux. Good luck and I hope that you can get some answers from the Dr. Our youngest was also very hard to burp, had the upper GI testing at ab 4-5 weeks which showed some reflux but in our case it what caused by a cows milk intolerance so once we cleared that up that spitting up and reflux really calmed down.
  • edited December 2013
    @debs did you notice a decrease in throwing up once they treated the reflux? I didn't so that's why I stopped the meds but know several people who have had great results!!
  • I noticed a big difference @kenzie0713 after a while I stopped the meds unless I noticed it acting up. My friend had to use it she couldn't breastfeed her baby because he was so miserable she thought it had something to do with her milk so they started formula her baby was 2 weeks when they diagnosed him her poor baby screamed all the time.
  • My son was diagnosed with reflux.. No medicines (4-5 different kinds) helped at all. They thought maybe he was allergic to diary, so we switched to diary free formula. Switching formulas helped but didn't clear the issue. Took him to a chiropractor, 2 adjustments and he's never had an issue since.

I know it's frustrating. I use to have to change my clothes & my sons clothes 5-6 times a day for months and months. It got to where people didn't want to hold him. I hope you can find some answers.