Soo frustrating!

Ok this has nothing to do with my baby girls but I just had to share my frustration get little vent out. So last year I decided it's time to start building some credit, since I'm not fan of credit cards never had one I didn't have anything on my credit that's why it was time. Anyways so we went bought car. Me being protectionist I always make all my payments early therefore my credit has been great. And ive always paid all our bills and on time so no issues. Well hubby and I decided to get credit karma accounts.... all the sudden out of nowhere I have $79 collection. I right away contact the collection agency listed on the report. They try to find me by using my social security, couldn't find me, put in my name, couldn't find me. So they put in my maiden name and found the account asked me if I live at certain address I said no and that I've never lived at that address. So they updated the address thinking the reason I never got bill is because it's been going to the wrong place. Well I get off the phone and decide to do some research on the place that was trying to bill me in the first place. Came to the conclusion I've never been there it's medial place. I call the collection agency back talk to the same lady. I nicely tell get I'm pretty sure they have the wrong person since they couldn't find me under my social which is best way, they didn't have right name technically, and wrong address and also now that I've done my research I knew for fact I've never gotten medical care at the place trying bill me. So she says well is this your birthday, which I say no!! Obviously we both knew at that point that they had the wrong person and my credit is now effected by it. She tells me unfortunately now that it has been reported the only thing I can do is contact all 3 of the credit bureaus and ask them to dispute the case. Well one can't just contact the bureau by phone you have to write them each letter explaining what is going on and include your full name, address, social security number and copy of it and copy of your drivers license . Well after all this I don't feel comfortable just putting all that in the mail going to 3 different places hoping some weirdo doesn't open one the letters and steal my identity. The other option is pay this one law agency to take care of it all. And some may think why not just pay the balance. Well even if I were to pay since its already on my credit report unless I get it disputed it stays on there for 5 to 7 years...it wont have a balance but still have a negative mark...so im stuck between sending the letters or paying law firm to take care of it...

Comments

• That's terrible! I'm sorry you have to deal with that. It must be so frustrating. How did that happen? Was ur identity used by someone else?
  • The credit bureaus each have a website where you just submit your dispute and they take care of it. I've done it. It's really easy and protects your information.
  • @adri805 yes it's super frustrating, especially since I've never had anything negative on my credit and my hubby works hard to provide for us and I make sure everything is paid. I mean it would be one thing if it was my fault and I didn't pay something then I deserve it. But in this case either the wrong info was taken or who knows the other person could have used my identity but I doubt it since its just small medical bill thing and the fact that all the other info the have is hers not mine.
  • edited February 2014
    @ourlittlenugget I only found one site so far that has the number for all 3 and addresses and it just says send them letterv of dispute..I would love to do it all on the computer and know the info is going right to them. If you happen to remember what the websites are please let me know! And it's off your record for good? You didn't have to wait years right? Im just so stressed that because of someone else's mistake I gotta pay you know...
  • @ourlittlenugget well I can't find it so I'm thinking I either have to do the letter thing or post the attorney to do it.
  • Who and how did they mess up her info and urs? That's bs
  • @adri805 yes tell me about it. Well the place that didn't get their payment is something healthcare it's like women's doctor. And they paid awa collection agency to try collect the debt from that girl and guess she wasn't responding so they reported it to the credit bureaus. So I'm not sure if the collection agency got the wrong info or if they messed up themselves. But the only thing we have in common is our name but not even that bc that's my maiden name. We obviously don't have same social, or birthday she's older then I am not same address the place they had on file I've never lived at or any of my family members. They messed up big time. I'm very upset it's big deal it's one thing if I could just pay the $80. But unfortunately unless the bureau takes it off themselves it will be on my credit record for 5 to 7 years. We have family friends who went to buy a vacation home in Malibu and couldn't because out of nowhere they had only $1.79 in collections. So if this doesn't get fixed it can really mess things up for us. It's no easy process that's for sure.
  • That's total bs, u shouldn't be suffering bc of someone who messed up. I would be so damn annoyed if I were u bc u were trying so hard to maintain good credit
  • Yes I'm very very upset..I mean ive never paid anything late or not paid something obviously so unfair. I'm hoping and praying it will get cleared up @adri805
  • I hope so too!!
  • @adri805 well I finished one dispute online today. One is sooo mixed up with this person that it told me I'm not me so I have to fax them my dispute with copy of my drivers license. And the last one I'm almost done it's through the phone and half way through they decided they are closed for the day. It's an automated system. So I'm gonna finish in the morning. It it all doesn't work I'm going to have an attorney do it for sure. But I thought I'd try mYself first.
  • That's great that ur taking initiative!!! I hope it works out for u
  • @adri805 thank you. I've completed two of the bureau's one dispute has already been cleared, the second one is half way all the information they could delete they did just waiting for reply from the collection agency until they finish the dispute, and the third I'm turning in tomorrow after my spa morning :)
  • Nice!!! Our spa morning sounds heavenly!! Enjoy :)
    I'm glad ur able to get it taken care of
  • Your not our lol
  • WellmI'm glad they are fixing it. That's really effed up that you had suffer from their mistakes. They could have easily sent the dispute to the Bureau instead of making you go through this trouble.
  • @adri805 thank you it went well very relaxing A's yummy food!

@veevee yes I agree that would have been nice. But on the good not I am now well educated on all that goes on and Know what kinds of things to keep an eye on for for best credit.
  • Oops! I'm sorry I never got the notification so I could answer you! :( Sounds like you're making some progress though. I think when I did it I went to annualfreecreditreport.com The one set up to provide a yearly report based on the new law. Through there I got all three reports and each credit bureau had a link for online disputes attached to their credit report. I know I'm a little late to help, but....
  • @ourlittlenugget Thank you I got it all figured out :)