they can fired you from your work if you are pregnant?

edited March 2011 in October 2011
Hi I'm 8 weeks and 2 day my due date its Oct 26. I work for a company that takes care of elderly people "care giver" I haven't tell in my work that I'm pregnant because I'm afraid that they can fired me and I really don't want that I want to work until I'm 7 months pregnant. Can you please give me any advice. I was going thinking to tell them about my pregnancy on April but my belly its starting to grown and I don't feel good been hiding it.what should I do?

Comments

• First: they CANNOT fire you for being pregnant.

Second: youre probably just bloated, you can wait til 3-4 months if you want, unless you have to help with lifying the patients, then telling then now would be ideal.

Third: good luck!
  • Yea I agree wit @caroline8_p its illegal.
  • Yeah I was thinking the samething. I'm 15wks and I just started my new job back in Jan. An I have a feeling their going to try an fire me. So I'm waiting until July to tell them bc then they would have to pay me unemplyment. I'm a studio manager, So no one ever see's me at my job.
  • ull be fine hun I think we all have those thoughts its illegal for anyjob to fire you because ur pregnant . The best thing to do is keep documentations of all your doctors notes and days that u will be out sick . they may not fire for being pregnant but they can if you miss to many days or come late and they dont have a reason such as u being pregnant.
  • Also I waited until I was 5 months to tell my job because my health started getting the best of me. and I new me being out to often would get me fired without a medical excuse.
  • They can't fire u for being pregnant, as it is discrimination and u can take them to court over it.. not sure how many weeks it is but ur not legally obliged to tell them until a certain number of weeks (in UK anyway) have a look on the internet about your rights. Congrats :)
  • I worked up to 2 days before my due date with my first child. They can't fire you because you are pregnant. I didn't tell my boss until i was 4 months pregnant.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited March 2011
    thts true wat...katie said, i read abt tht!! .but for d place u said u wrk for im sure they hav mor than 15staff members, so outside of tht if they fire u, just bcuz u confess; contact eeoc force to file a claim 1st then find yurself a lawyer(:
  • I got fired today: ( it was my own fault though. I missed the bus because i couldn't stop throwing up
  • My sis jst got fired from her job for being pg..she didn't tell them right away she is only 9 wks but 2 wks ago on a Friday she went to the er cause she was bleeding nd the doc told her she was having a threaten miscarriage..she had to call her job because she was put on bed rest for a wk nd she wrkd tht Saturday so they told her she/the preg was bring a inconvenience to them nd tht it wasn't the time to be pg..so they told her she had to let them know by Monday when she was goin to see a doc..she was still waiting on her Medicaid # nd her job didn't care..mind u she wrks for a doc office u would think they understood she couldn't see a doc with out tht #..wrong! She wasn't able to get the number until tht Tuesday nd seen a doc Wednesday..the doc told her she can go back to wrk Monday since she wasn't bleeding nd was feeling btter..well she told her job Wednesday Wht the doc said they didn't say anything but they called the next day on Thursday talkin bout we won't be expecting u at wrk next wk we are letting u go for ensibornation..nd tht was it..she was asking. For an explanation but they got rude nd Hung up on her..now Idk anything about wrk right or anything like tht but is tht illegal??
  • There are some jobs ie bartending, that makes you aware before or at hiring that if you become pregnant the work space is an unsafe enviroment most of those places" lay you off" so that you can collect unemployment temporarily and usually will hire you back on after but if your work enviroment is unsafe or you were told at hiring or before than they can otherwise its discrimination and you should file a claim and they can be fined big time
  • Would the thing it's that my job its kinda heavy. I do lift the patients and I give them showers and help them getting dressed. I think they do have more then 15 employees. So what should I do because I find out that I was pregnant 3 weeks ago and if they ask me when did I find. Out what should I said? I'm afraid
  • They don't have a legal right to ask u bout anything regarding your private medical. They can ask u what things u can/can't do. Its not legal unless theyre a small business. Which theyre not. Forget the EEOC. I HAVE FILED BEFORE WITH THEM AND WAS COMPLETLEY IGNORED. THEY DIDN'T EVEN CALL ME. I work for a home health org and just told them im preg. They didn't seem to care and are even sending me out to a male patient with violence problems. These places only care about how they can use you. Just don't talk about it too much after u tell them and they shouldn't get nervous. They don't want to know too much.
  • Actually, yes they can. Depending on a few things. I actually dealt with this firsthand with my last pregnancy. If they are. Church, yes. Less than 50 employees yes.
  • Also have no one to back you up? A court case is pointless. It's unfortunate.
  • OK another question in case they fire me can I apply for unemployment? The whole pregnancy ?
  • As long as they do not list that you did something against company policy. Even then you may be able to. My company didn't even try to stop my unemployment. They knew what they did was wrong. I still looked for work but getting hired while pregnant isn't easy.
  • My mom works in a nursing home too lol for over 8yrs now and most her co-workers get prego n dont loose their jobs hun they caint fire u lol
  • They can only fire you if it interferes with your job, but it's a very slippery thing to try. Just tell them. Otherwise you won't have your fmla paperwork done in time. Trust me, that's not a good thing to leave to the last second. Plus not telling your boss, they remember that. Doesn't look good..who wants to be on their boss's bad side
  • edited March 2011
    They wont hire u in most places if prego but if ur working already and u get prego they cant fire u but yeah its best that ur work place knows!
  • There are different laws for every state... my state allowed me to legally be let go from my job because it only had 5 employee's. Federally I believe they have to have at least 15 employee's, and in my state (Oregon) it's 20, so I was protected by neither. You need to look into your state's labor laws to fully understand your rights. All the info you need should be online. Good luck! :)
  • @ sarah102011
    That sucks!! :(
  • I would suggest all working moms file fmla paperwork asap! fed. Law protecting you if u need a sic day. It's unpaid but @ least we can't get fired.
  • Well I live in California. I think they do protect pregnant women but I'm going to look deeper. And so its best to let them know now?
  • Check on the labor laws first, then talk to your doc and find out how long you'll be able to perform your duties without harm to baby. Tell him what you find out about labor laws, try to work as long as you can. Don't tell them till you see your doc again and have a better idea on what you will be able to do at work, that way you can tell them what doc said. I got fired for being pregnant, and haven't been able to find work, i want to help you keep your job if i can.
  • I work in Colorado. It is an at will state. I can be fired at any time for no reason. However... if they fire me for no reason I can collect unemployment. Being pregnant is not a valid reason to fire you. Missing days or being late is.
  • Ca is an "at will" employer state...you can be let go at any time pretty much without reason...the same way we can leave a job cuz we want to...I was in the process of looking for a job when I found out I was 7 weeks along....I gave up my search...who's gonna hire preggo? I'm worried cuz my unemployment runs out in about a month....wonder if the doctor could put me on disability
  • You need to tell them as you need a risk assessment done encase anything happens to you.
  • You can write to the women's bureau publications the address is :
    The Women's Bureau Publications
    U.S. Department of Labor
    Box Ex200 Constitution Avenue NW
    Washington. DC 20210
    and ask for a summary of your state laws regarding pregnancy like family leave and employment laws ext