will medicaid make daddy pay...?

edited March 2011 in Pregnant
A friend of mine (no babies but works at the womens clinic) told me that even tho I qualify for medicaid, after babys born they will sue the daddy for half of the medical bills. Is this true or not? We live together, but not married yet, and he's really supportive. He pays bills and is even trying to buy a house so we can start off like a real family lol. I just don't want him to get screwed because I don't make enough money to pay for all this myself. Thanks for listening ladies..this is really stressing me out :(

Comments

• In Ohio if your on any Medicaid food stamps or owf and not living with dad he has to pay child support.
  • I have heard that they make the father pay for parts of the bill but I don't know what conditions would cause them to go for the father to pay for part of it. I hope someone has a better answer...
  • They will deny your Medicaid if you don't cooperate.... with child support.
  • If living together father pays nothing.
  • Im almost in the same situation as you..i am married and i do want to get medicaid but my husband gets too much money a month...but still its not enough for labor and doc visits...idk what im going to do either..good luck to both of us :)
  • Im with momtob on this, im in phoenix,az though, had the same question
  • When I lived with my bd he paid nothing as soon as I left him moved out they enforced child support right away.
  • I am in tx have food stamps and medicaid and father is not on child support
  • My caseworker swore up and down that they wouldn't persue him for medical bills. However, for me to stay on medicaid they made me persue him for child support and now they want him to pay $3000 towards the delivery expenses ( they even used his ssdi income as a factor in calculating how much he should pay!)
  • Thanks ladies..I hear there is a $ amount they assign and if he makes over that then they do require he pay some..? Idk tho so I guess its just one more things to worry about lol. I'm really stressed today so I'm trying to laugh so I don't cry :( thanks for all the help tho!
  • The total delivery expenses were over $14000. But, they use a formula to compute how much the father owes. They told me the only way to get out of paying for it was for us to get married (moving in together wasn't enough)
  • Here in kc...as long as they live with you and help they dont do that.
  • If your not living with him and you put that you know the father and he makes enough, they might make him pay.

My dad was trying to claim me on his taxes for half the year because I lived with him for 7 months of last year, and when they found out I was on Medicaid at all for last year, they said they were going to make him pay my bills even though I did not live with him!!!
  • You should call your local job and family services or talk to women in your county every state and county is different on their rules.
  • I applied for medicaid when I found out I was pregnant and said I didnt know who the father is so I am worried that when I put his name on the birth certificate they are going to try and make him pay but I dont know after the baby comes I am going to apply again with him because I wont be working so I dont think he alone will make enough money but I am not sure if they deny us he has insurance through his job its just we are so strapped for cash right now
  • I think it all depends on the state, I live in Wisconsin and my husband (we wernt married when our daughter was born) had to pay half of the birth costs which was 2300. It didn't matter that we lived together or not.
  • I think its crazy. If the man has to pay half the woman should have to pay the other half. Why should she get a free ride off government assistance and he have to fork out the money?!
  • In Texas the daddy only pays if the mom applies for TANF. They go after the daddy and make him pay back all the money they gave to the mom.
  • @OctMommy That's how our government operates. I think it's a good idea if the dad is a dead beat. Hell make his ass pay for something.
  • I'm in Texas ...eventually the guy will have to pay after so long of using it that's y when ur baby gets a little older u can pay and get c.h.I.p. which spent have to b paid back ..child support is only an issue off the top if u r applying Tanf temporary assistance for needy families
  • @preggointx My bestfriend's sister has been on Medicaid for 9 years and her baby's father has not had to pay for her using Medicaid, but he did pay because she applied for TANF. They didn't tell me anything about the dad paying if the mom gets medicaid cause I use it now temporarily.
  • Again every state and county is different and not just dads but yes the absent patent has to pay! If there weren't so many dead beat parents there wouldn't be rules like this!
  • Also I was told that after the baby is born you know they usually kick the mother off. The mother can stay on medicaid if she files for child support against the father. I have medicaid and I will not file child support against my child's father after the baby is born to stay on medicaid. I HATE medicaid and I am only using because I don't get health insurance through my job and im a college student. I'm also using it because I was on my dads insurance, but they wouldn't cover my child.
  • @beautifulone @preggointx good to know because I stay in Texas as well and was kinda worried I am only getting medicaid because we are so strapped for cash right and are not married so he can not add me to his insurance at work
  • @may1mommatobe I live in Dallas and it was SOOOO hard for me to find a Dr. that accepts Medicaid. There is only a select few that accepts it. I feel you on the strapped for cash. Times are hard, lol. Im in the same boat!
  • My bf and I live together the only thing he has to pay is birthing costs
  • @beautifulone I live in Houston but it was easy for me to find a dr and he is great I just put on my medicaid app I didnt know who the daddy was .....but he will be on the birth certificate so I was kind worried they might try and make him pay
  • This bad im frd u.k an we get nhs this means we dont have to pay anythin at all! I was goin to move to usa last year im so happy I change my mind I love the u.k even more after readin this
  • Seriously if your together and supporting each other it shouldn't matter anyways you can both pay the bill.
  • I live in pennsylvania and I know they dont persue medical stuff but if u apply.for cash assistance they want support I know this doesnt ring true in every state though try to google ur state laws. Hope I could help