Cervix is soft

Im 36w 3d and today I had my gbs test done and my dr checked my cervix due to all this pressure.baby has dropped and He said im not dilated but my cervix is very soft. Im not really sure what that means. Does anyone know?

Comments

• What's a cervix lol
  • Its ripening...getting ready for the baby to come!
  • Im not sure, but im 36 weeks exactly and had a dr apt today they did the same thing and said I was 1 cm dialated cervix thick, the cervix is the beginning I believe of the birth canal and it has to be 10 cm and 100 % effaced normally to give birth,besides the sac the bby in, it keeps the bby in,as well. But I was just thinkn to myself what does soft or thick mean.
  • edited April 2011
    Thick means the cervix is long and not ready. Soft means its shorter and starting to thin/dilate but not there quite yet :) its getting ready for baby.
  • The cervix softens in order to efface or thin out and dilate...
  • @iwantaboy18 I beleive itsbthe bottom part of the uterus where the baby comes comes out.

@Caiti5 that makes sense lol.
  • Im 37wks 5days when I went to the dr on wed he said my cervix has moved to the front :/ & that ive started losing my plug that I could go into labor any day now but he never says anything abt being dilated should I ask ??? He says he dont give me another wk I hope he is right I go back on wed
  • @MommyOfTwoPrincesses thank you! He told me he could feel his head! Lol
  • My doc said she could feel the head as well. But starting to dialate, does that mean itll start softening more? Sorry for asking a question on your post. Just curious tho.
  • I went today too and Dr said my cervix is soft and baby's head is all the way down and against my bladder....... I just know I'm very uncomfortable!!!! I'm 36 weeks...
  • @crazyhmommy dont be sorry lol. But I have no idea.I havent dilated yet so idk lol.
  • @Momma2joe whens your due date? I am uncofortable too! It hurts when I walk and stand up :( in my u/s his head was on my cervix and bladder I just want him out!
  • My Dr uses may 8th but my ultra sounds are showing may 14th. I am hoping end of April.
  • @Momma2joe im due may 10 but u/s sound says his weight is a week ahead so possibly may 4th.
  • Im only a one tho, lol were both wondering the opposite lol
  • @maymommy11 the nurse told me today that it would be soon. I just laughed and said yeah I know she can't stay in there forever! I lost 2 pounds in a week. That was her reason for saying she will be here soon. I don't believe any of the wives tales though. This is my 4th child and my last one was a week early 20 months ago, so for that I think this one will be early too. I predict the end if April. Lets home I'm right!!!
  • Well I have not gained weight in weeks. I'm 37.3 weeks and one cm and thick cervix but I'm doing primrose oil now. I am getting induced in 11 days.

The crazy thing is anything can happen at any second. You can go from thick to thin, 1-4 in nothing flat.

We all sound like it will be soon but we will see.

Does anyone else's baby sleep all the time? Mine moves a lot every other day
  • @Momma2joe I hope your right lol. I just dont want to go over due! This is my first and I heard they usually are over due :( lol

@Proudmomma I wish I knew why everyone else is dilates and thick but im not dilated and soft lol.my baby is almost always awake it seems like. His movements are starting to really hurt :(
  • @maymommy11 I was checked at 34 weeks and was fingrertip, 50% effaced and baby was low. So I'm soft and not dialated too.
  • @ammasmama my dr never told me if I was effaced or anything. I go back tuesday and ill be 37weeks.
  • I am 36 weeks today and I also go back Tuesday. I think they will check me again. They were avoiding it because of the preterm labor. I also get an ultrasound and get to see how much weight she's gained. She was 4'13" a month ago and at the last ultrasound last week the tech said she has chubby thighs.
    Let me know what your dr says and if they just say soft or whatever ask, about dialation, effaced and baby's position.
  • @ammasmama okay I hope they do the cervical check again. I dont see why not. Last time they said hes head down. Hopefully still is. Im going to get one more u/s before delivery for his weight.
  • Let me know, and I'll let you know when I get my ultrasound tomorrow. I have them once a week til she's born (gestational diabetes). Which I hope is soon, I have sooooo much pressure I can hardly walk! Praying for an April baby!!!
  • @ammasmama dr said cervix is still soft and closes. Baby is still head down. She said she could feel his head. The pressure is gettin baddd lol. I will get another u/s next week for.the week after to decide on how to deliver him. She told me it goes dilation effacement then stationary. She said I was -3 but I dont remember for what lol.
  • I was not dilated and was soft, the said my cervix was still quite high. They did a membrane day that same day and I went into labour that night and early hours of next morning was holding my little girl. So it is very true things can change very quickly. This was my second and I was 6 days overdue! But with my first I was 2 weeks early! Lol
  • @SheridanLM1991 was it a membrane sweep? She said she cant do that on me till my cervix opens :( congrats tho! :)
  • Yeah! The first time they tried they couldn't because it wasn't opened enough for her to do it and she didn't want to hurt me. Tried again a few days later with a different midwife and it was open a bit but she said she can reach if I want her to but it'd hurt, so I said yeah. Was painful but did the trick! :-) good luck to you and hope you don't go overdue.
  • @SheridanLM1991 thanks. Lol. I heard them checking your cervix helps bring on labor or dilates you? And I heard sex can do that too. (semen) Idk if thats true. The last cervix check I had today was very painful and it was by my regular OB. We changed over because the other dr was dumb.
  • I have no idea about the checking the cervix thing, the only time they did before my membrane sweep was when I thought my waters broke early lol. The sex thing is true, my midwife kept telling me to have sex, me and my partner couldn't help but laugh. Haha
  • OMG I hope my midwife will do a membrane sweep tomorrow.