Ammonia-Free Hair Dye?

I've always heard that it's okay to dye your hair when you're pregnant, with the use of ammonia-free hair dye. I've done some online research and the information that I found said that it's okay to dye your hair in a well-ventilated area, as long as I wear gloves and rinse my scalp thoroughly. I really, really hate my natural hair color---I know, drama queen. I've been dying my hair for years and this is the longest I've gone without dye...it's driving me insane. I despise waking up in the mirror and seeing that icky brown...I want my color back... :-< Has anyone dyed their hair while pregnant? What would you suggest?

Comments

• I was going to post something similar as this cuz my roots are exposed and need to dye it soon!
  • I went to cosmetology school, I haven't finished yet but all of the girls there dyed their hair monthly and still had healthy babies. Just make sure you're out of your first trimester
  • Don't do an in home dye. Go to a salon
  • They've quit using ammonia in hair dye. I avoided dying during the first trimester but then every 4-6 weeks after the first I've dyed my hair. But do stay well ventilated, if nothing else the smell is nauseating during pregnancy.
  • I've been doing hair for 10 years its safe trust me u just don't want to directly sniff or eat the hair color :-)
  • @Fwee Thank you, so much!! I just found a link that discussed ammonia-free hair dye and it said the same thing...to stay away from the hair dye during the first trimester, because the baby is more vulnerable, then.

http://www.babycenter.com/404_is-it-safe-to-color-my-hair-during-pregnancy_3273.bc

I'm pretty sure I'd cry if I couldn't dye my hair...I've avoided it this long, because I didn't want to risk hurting the baby, but then I saw a lady getting her hair dyed at the mall, the other day. I wasn't going to base it upon that (because some people here just don't care) but I was really, really hoping that it was safe for baby(:
  • and they haven't quit using ammonia in hair color but there are temporary colors that claim to be ammonia free bc its less then 5%
  • @kenzie0713 Haha. I know I have some weird cravings, but I don't see hair-dye as one of them :p Thank you, so much for your in-put...I noticed that some people say NOT to do an in-home dye, but that's all I've ever done; I really can't afford to go to a salon...I dye my own hair, and always have; I pay $15 versus $150 at a local salon. What would you suggest??
  • If anything use clairol from sallys beauty supply good luck :-) if u have any ?'s just let me know. Ps I have a client who is an obgyn she's prego and I've been coloring her hair all along
  • @kenzie0713 ...I'm assuming if the OB/GYN is dying her hair, it's safe for me, too.
    (: I'm not finding any conclusive results as to whether or not hair coloring is actually SAFE, but I'm finding a lot of women have dyed their hair and had happy, healthy babies.
  • ...And the doctor says....
    I just called to double check with my OB, to make sure that there was nothing going on with my pregnancy that would cause any issues while dying my hair. He said that dying your hair while pregnant is absolutely okay after the first trimester. He said to leave the dye in for the shortest time possible, but to be aware that pregnancy hormones may change the way that the color takes---especially with in-home dyes.
    I have my color in, and we're on our way to brighter days(:
    The baby is kicking and rolling around, which Doc said was completely normal.
    There was also some questions about letting the dye touch your scalp. He said that, again, it was fine, AFTER the first trimester. He said that plenty of his patients dye their hair regularly, and NONE OF THEM have ever had complications that have anything to do with dying their hair.
    He said that it's important to work in a well-ventilated area when using hair-dye with ammonia, to wear gloves, to prevent the dye from penetrating the skin, and to wipe away any dye that touches the skin (back of neck, face, ears, etc.).

Whether or not to dye hair is a matter of opinion, I suppose, but my doctor says that, in my specific case, if that's what I want to do, more power to me and my hair dye; it won't hurt Mommy's Monkey, at all.
    Happy Hair-Dying, Ladies(:
  • My mom and sister use Revlon colorsilk and it is inexpensive but seems to look best, shiny hair and long-lasting. I always joke their roots before it ever fades.
  • Oh yeah, and my mom used the same thing all through put her pregnancy with my sister lol!!!
  • @jellybelly1015 I'm using Revlon ColorSilk #42 (Medium Auburn) which is what seems to best suit me around this time of year...it allows for a smooth transition to a lighter shade(: Love it, so far. Absolutely gorgeous....this is the first time for ColorSilk---I usually use Herbal Essence, so we'll see what happens.
  • @monkeysmommy2011 hope it works out for you, that is the same color (or maybe light?) they use, I used to help my lil sister with hers back when I was still at home.
  • The color is out, and I will say that pregnancy hormones *in my case* do effect the way the dye takes...the top colored really nicely, but the shade seems a little darker, the further down it goes. It's pretty, a unique touch, of sorts, but it definitely didn't come out as nicely as when I wasn't pregnant. Oh well! I bought another bottle, so touch-up in a few weeks...
  • My hair normally takes real well to dye but not pregnant. Its a tad bit brassy but toner works amazingly well. I also waited till 2 nd trimester. :)
  • I agree with @kenzie0713....I too have been doing lighter ten years...they. stiill use ammonia in hair color!!! But with a semi permanent color you cant go lighter! So if you use permanent color just make sure out if first trimester and is well ventilated area.
  • @MrsForesee My hair usually does awesome with hair-dye...but pregnant? Uhm, no! I mean, it's pretty, don't get me wrong, but it just didn't turn out as well as what I wanted. I have a two-tone kinda thing going on, but it's not horribly obvious...it just looks like my color gets darker as it goes down the length of my hair; the ends didn't dye too well.
    Baby is still kicking and rolling, just like any other day(: so he doesn't seem to be bothered by it!