Has anyone gone into preterm labor because of polyhydramnios?

edited June 2011 in High risk pregnancy
I'm now considered high risk for having my water break early..just wondering if anyone has had this and if they really did have the baby early?

Comments

• Um......anyone???
  • I don't have any experience with that but why are you at risk??
  • I had it with my first and was actually induced 2 weeks early. when they broke my water omg u couldnt imagine...it like seemed like it would never stop. I think though I was Induced because of the oily and high bp ....hope it helps a little.
  • @myowndisaster23 it means I have alot of extra fluid around the baby and hes measuring really big...at risk having my water break cuz there's only so much room in there...I'm measuring at last appointment 4wks ahead of where I should be. Thanks for responding though:-)
  • How far along are you???
  • @urmomwasright thanks for responding :-) were you measuring really far ahead as well? How big was baby? At 28 wks I was measuring 30...and at 30 wks I was measuring 34...kinda nervous about how big I'll measure next week. I'm curious to know if everyone who has this has the baby early or what ya know? Thanks again :-)
  • @garagebandfan I'm 31+5 but I'm measuring big. At my 30wk I was measuring 34. Extra fluid plus big baby? I go back next week. Just nervous about how big I'm measuring and if that's normal for this issue..or if it means I'll definitely go early or not.. Didn't have this issue with my last two.
  • Can they start steroids for your babys lungs? You're past the really dangerous point so at least you don't have to worry too much about delivering early. I had my first very early, he was a micropreemie. But he is doing well now so don't stress about preterm labor. Good luck, sweetie. Keep us updated on your progress. :)
  • @myowndisaster23 they said if I start leaking or start contractions they will give me shots...said I'll probably be making numerous trips to l/d to be checked. Supposed to go in if I even think I could be leaking...or if I have more than 4 contractions in an hour...even if they are bh. Just wondering what the reality of it happening really early is. How early was your baby?? Glad he's ok :-) thanks for responding and the good luck wishes
  • I have never heard of this before... I started leaking fluid at 34 weeks and they never figured out why...I delivered two days after I started leaking...I've always wondered what it could have been. How do they test for it?
  • Oh I had to also have non stress test done for baby. actually when they induced me 2 weeks early the u/s had said he was going to br big n all but was a normal 7.6 lbs. so I don't believe them all to much with baby size toward the end , you know ... best luck to u though n ur baby
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I have had a very large amount of fluid with both of my girls and measuring always 4+ weeks larger. I was induced with my first at 41 weeks and she was 7lbs 9oz and my second is a week old today, I had high blood pressure and was induced 4 days early and she was 8lbs 9oz. Nothing too big. :) try not to worry hun just take it easy!
  • My monkey was 15 weeks early, 1lb.7oz. 12.5 inches long. I only received one steroid shot but I swear that's part of why he did so well.
  • Hi there! I gave birth to a full term, 7lb 6oz baby girl on May 10th, and I too had Poly! I was diagnosed at 24 weeks because I measured at 28 weeks. I was huge! Usually the onset of Poly is 32 weeks but I had such a bad case of it, I ended up getting 2 NST's and BPP's a week. I also had GD, which was the culprit to the Poly. Once we got my GD under control, my fluid levels went from 26 down to about 22 and hung out around there until I was 38 weeks. At 38+1, I ended up getting a small leak in my sac but didn't know it because I have never had my water break and also it was so slow. At 38+2, my water broke and I had my little Sophia Avery after 11 hours of labor! The baby isn't why you're measuring big, it's the fact that you have more fluid than a normal pregnancy. What are your levels at? When I first signed up for Pregly back in February, I started a thread regarding Poly, but like you, got next to no responses because it's a pretty rare thing. Although Polyhydramnios is a pain, I am glad that someone else can relate to me! I wish you had been around a few months ago so that we could have swapped advice and stories. Anyways, feel free to message me because I have been through this and would be more than happy to give you advice or answer questions based off my experience. :)
  • OK I'm measuring 3 weeks ahead will my doctor check to see If that's why. He said he thought I deff had gd but it came back yesterday I didn't so now what will he do to see why I'm measuring bigger. Was it ur uturus measuring further?
  • Oh and I should answer your question lol. Yes, I went into preterm labor 3 times, once at 34 weeks, 35 weeks and 36 weeks. After the second time, I was given steroid shots to mature her lungs because we were certain she would come early, but after 36 weeks, there was NO labor activity until my water broke haha. She gave us a run for our money, and still likes to cause me grief. ;) She is an amazing baby though.
  • @garagebandfan my first son had growth issues...wasnt growing right so they have me do level two ultrasounds at 20wks..he was measuring double his weight then so they wanted another check at 30wks...they measure the fluid levels at the 30week us and discovered I had it. They also said he was measuring big at that time as well. I had never heard of it either..
  • @ginaa412 He may, all that needs to be done is an ultrasound to measure the 4 fluid quadrants in your amniotic sac. It should be around 12 total. How far along are you? do you have any other symptoms besides normal pregnancy aches and pains? I can't say there are really any symptoms besides measuring ahead. You can certainly bring it up to him though and express your concern.
  • @urmomwasright thanks so much for your story and thanks for the well wishes :-)
  • @Mnbaby3 My daughter measured 3 weeks bigger up until 36 weeks, then she plateued out. my doc says that sometimes baby hit growth spurts early and keep growing fast but then they "hit a wall" and don't grow anymore. we were worried she would be bigger than 8lbs at birth but she wasn't, just an average size at under 7 and a half.
  • @HomeBirthAdvocate thanks for your input :-) I know he's not bigger because of the excess fluid...the last two ultrasounds measured him bigger than usual for gestational age. I was worried that the combo of the two would mean early labor for sure. Good to know it doesn't always happen that way...but yikes I feel like my belly will explode if I make it to 40wks!lol
  • ack, one more thing, the day before I had her, she measured at 7lbs 3ozs, so they were pretty spot on with her measurment
  • @bke913 I'm 26 weeks I go at 32 weeks for another ultrasound due to my placenta being low. My doctor said he might just b big due to gd but at my other ultrasounds he was always the right size. I haven't seen him since 20 weeks and just started measuring bigger at like 22 up until now.
  • @MommyOfTwoPrincesses thanks for your story..good to know I have a chance at making it to term! Congrats again on the new princess :-)
  • @myowndisaster23 awww he was a lil guy. So happy to hear he made it and is doing well. Thanks for sharing :-)
  • @BkE913 Thanks so much for your response and sharing your story...i was feeling alone there for a while lol I'm happy to get some responses now though :-) I too am gynormous..I'm bigger now than when I delivered my other two boys! I don't know how much more my belly can stretch! I don't have GD so they aren't really sure why I have the poly. So basically you went into early labor and others didn't so guessing it's different for everyone. Ugh so frustrating not knowing if I can go anywhere or not. The baby measured big at 20wk level 2 us and at the 30 wk us. They estimated he will be more than 10# if I make it to term. Yikes! Thanks again I will def message you if I need to whine or have more questions lol
  • @ginaa412 they will probably measure fluid if you are having another us anyway...i would mention the possibility to him though. i started by measuring a wk ahead then at 28wks I measured 2wks ahead..then measured 4wks ahead at 30wks. I'm going in next wk for my 32wk check so I'll see how I'm measuring then. The only other symptoms they mentioned is the fluid can cushion the kicks so may not feel them as much or as hard..and breathing more labored because of the size of belly and everything being squished in there. I guess if you are measuring big make sure they check the fluid levels at next us. Good luck!
  • My belly got so big about 28 weeks and never really got any bigger. I had an episode in which I thought I lost her but I just couldn't feel her because, like you said, all the fluid was masking her movements. I think every case is different though. Have they checked to see why there is so much? Is baby swallowing the fluid like (s)he should be? Also, have they done any scans of her brain? Don't mean to freak you out,but they did all sorts of scans of her to make sure she was okay. The only thing wrong with her is what's called Coloboma, her eyes didn't fully form in utero, so she has "cat eyes". Her pupils look like an upside down tear drop as opposed to circular like normal pupils. It's a rare congenital birth defect, but there is no relation to the Poly. We go in to check her eyes this next week, but I know she's not blind cuz she focuses on things and follows my face so I think she's okay, she'll just have crazy eyes.
  • @BkE913 I had a level 2 us at 20wks and that is a thorough scan. They said he looks perfect so I'm hoping they didn't miss anything. My belly got so big between 28 and 30weejs