HELP PLEASE. My babys belly. update

edited June 2011 in Babies
@homebirthadvocate. And any other mommies that have had babies. So for the last week my son who is 7 weeks old hasn't been able to really poop at all. He has a small hard ball about the size of a gumball everyday and that's it. I have tried liquid glyscerin suppositories and also peaches in every bottle. I have noticed that his belly button is starting to really stick way out. I have never had this with any of my other kids. It doesn't seem to bother him to much and I have listened to bowel sounds and they are all present. I am a paramedic so my clinical impression says its a hernia. But me as a mom tells me that its not normal and that his cute little innie belly button is now push way out. He has an appointment tomorrow but I would like some other thoughts on this. PLEASE. Thank you.

Went to the doctor and he says little man has a hernia and it will correct itself. And he said add a tsp of sugar to every bottle till he poops. Thank you all

Comments

• One of my friends babies was doing something similar too this and it was something (not sure on the spelling ) called hirschburgers disease...
  • That would be freaking me out, too. :( Like you, I would have guessed an umbilical hernia, but I don't know if that would have anything to do with him not pooping much. Maybe try karo syrup in his bottles--I've heard that works, though I've never had to try it. Or maybe try using a rectal thermometer (that one I know for a fact works...that was a very unpleasant side-effect of taking my first son's temperature). I know juice often works in toddlers and older kids, so maybe adding a bit of prune juice or apple juice might help him go. I know at least some friends have had luck with these remedies. If all that fails, maybe he needs a different formula? Or maybe you need to adjust your diet if you're breast feeding? Let us know what happens at your appt tomorrow.
  • Thank you. I am going to make them do a full check up on him
  • I will let you all know. We had to change his formula to soy cause he couldn't handle the milk base. I can't breastfeed cause of my blood thinner I'm on. He is the only child that I never breast fed :( if it wasn't my child I wouldn't be concerned and I would just tell the parents all is okay but it is my. Child and I am worried. I will try apple juice with him.
  • How long has he been on the soy formula? We had to switch our lastand it backed him up for about a wk We ended up putting a little prune juice in with every bottle fir a couple wks. Worked like a charm. Oh and we put 1 tsp for 3oz. Hope he gets to pooping!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I'm sorry you can't breast feed this one. I know how hard that is. :( It's always harder and scarier when it's your own baby. My sister is an RN in the ER and she was the same way with her son.
  • My pediatrician has me giving my daughter bottles with karyo syrup and water in them for her constipation.
  • Thank you all for the advice. We gave him a bottle of apple juice and right now he is napping. Then its tummy time for a while. I do better taking care of others kids when they are sick but when its mine I worry so much. We will see what doc says tomorrow. Thank you all so much.
  • My sons pediatrician said to give no more than 4 oz of prune juice a day 1 oz at a time for constipation.
  • Light Karo syrup WORKS WONDERS

I PUT ABOUT A ½-1 TEASPOON IN EACH BOTTLE WITH MY OLDEST DAUGHTER
  • They think my son has a slight hernia too :(
  • Its horrible. He doesn't like tummy time right now :( I started putting the sugar in every bottle and I tell ya he pooped like no other. Lol. And he is so full of gas. He just keeps releasing. I hope his hernia goes away soon cause it looks horrible. @maymommy11
  • My son had on in his groin ur lucky it fixes itself my sons didn't fix itself had surgery at 1 year old :(
  • @mrz_jackson2anpreggo. I was so afraid that he would say that my son needed surgery but he said that it would correct itself. My dad and both my brothers and my nephew all had a hernia and they all had to have surgery. Thank God he doesn't. My 2nd child had to have surgery and I was flippin out when the doctor took 30 minutes longer than he expected. Lol. I don't handle m.y children in surgery very well.
  • My pediatrician kept telln us his wuld go away by his first bday but it didn't:(
  • My son loves tummy time lol. I guess the hernia doesnt hurt him. Hes been really gassy too and he poops once a day or every other day and its massive lol.do you put the sugar in water or formula?
  • My daughter has a slight hernia too, her doctor also said it would correct itself but it still makes me nervous
  • @navybabyonway. It makes me nervous too. I hate it.
    @mrz_jackson2anpreggo. I am praying that it goes away on its own.
    @maymommy11. I put a tsp of sugar in every formula bottle. He drinks 8oz at a time. He is a chunk. Lol. Could just put it in water but I don't want him to have a lot of just water.
  • My pediatrician says to only put sugar n his bottle once a day. Is their an age on that. My son is only a month old I think that's too young for sugar. The er told me I should give him a mineral oil based enema.
  • Oh. My son eats 4 to 6 oz hes 6 1/2 weeks old.
  • @martinmommi3. I'm not sure if its age or doctor to doctor. I do know that sugar is a natural pain reliever and instead of them using pain meds and stuff in the NICU they use sugar water. Its weird. Lol

@maymommy11. My little man is a chunky butt. He loves to eat. He will eat a whole 8oz at a time and an hour or 2 later he is ready for another 8oz. He just turned 2 months old. Lol. When I took him in for his 2. Month checkup he had already doubled his birth weight. Lol.
  • Oh wow how much was he when he was born? My son was 8.12 and at his 5 week appointment he was 11.13. My sister is breastfeeding and only gives her certain amounts so she doesnt get "fat". I could not beleive it.. Id rather have a well fed happy chubby baby. Her daughter is two months old and they were the same weight when he was born!
  • @maymommy11. He was 7 11 at birth. He is at 15 lbs now. Lol. I let him eat when he's hungry. They need all the fat they can get right now for develpoment.
  • Yes agreed! My mom just told me my sons gaining weight fast abd eating every 2 hrs isnt normal only 3 - 4 hrs is normal and I should give water..
  • @maymommy11. Every 2 hours is fine. I wouldn't go overboard with the water cause its not good for babys. It causes something in babys. We learned it in class. Can't remember the name of it. Mayne toxemia. Could ask @homebirthadvocate. My little man eats a ton and I'm okay with that. My 2nd son was chubby chubby. By the time he started walking he lost all the weight.
  • Does that nean swelling? I dont want to use water.
  • @maymommy11. No it throws off the ph balance in a baby. Like their electrolytes and potassium and all that good stuff. I would just let your baby eat as much formula or breastmilk that he wants. :)