Has anyone gone into preterm labor because of polyhydramnios?

2»

Comments

• @BkE913 ooops stupid phone lol got si big btwn 28-30wks I got a horrible rash..my skin couldn't take the stretching I guess. Im still growing but hoping to stop soon before it explodes lol. I'm hoping your lil one turns out fine at docs...having different eyes isn't a bad thing...just watch the boys when she gets to be a teenager! Lol
  • I had a level 2 at 19 weeks and everything looked fine then as well, but as a precaution, they did a few more level 2 scans. I suppose if your doc was concerned, he would do another one or two. I had a total of like 20+ ultrasounds (only like 4 or 5 level 2) my entire pregnancy just to make sure everything was alright and to check my fluids. I lost count of them at number 14 lol.
  • @BkE913 lol yeah that's alot of ultrasounds! I'll see what she says next week I guess. Thanks again for being there!
  • @BkE913 so I wanted to ask you if you knew what normal fluid levels are supposed to be?? I went in this week and had to see the practitioner since my doc got called away. They are going to start doing the nsts and bpp weekly. My fluid is measuring at 30.4 but not sure how bad that is?? It was my 32wk check but I'm measuring 36 wks. Just wondering if you knew since you've been through the poly crap ugh it sucks lol
  • :O Holy crap, 30.4?!? That is insane! My levels were considered ultra high and they were only at 26! (And I say only because in comparison to your levels, mine were nothing!!) Normal levels are anything below 14 I believe, you want to be at about 12 from what I understand.

Yes, Poly sucks! My doc told me the only thing that can be done to relieve some of the discomfort is to do an amnio reduction, but it just puts you at risk for PROM. Are you super miserable and having a hard time breathing? I had a hard time breathing right around 30 weeks, but then after that, the fluid begin to taper off so I didn't feel so terrible. The nice thing about Poly is that if your fluids taper off like mine did, the bigger you get, you don't mind because your belly has already been stretched to it's max!
  • @BkE913 yeah great so what does that mean?? Will baby be at risk with these levels?? I thought the practitioner looked a bit nervous..was saying something about waiting until next week to see my doc and discuss delivery options??? I was like what the heck? She just said they are higher then we would like to see. Gee that's helpful lady. Ugh I feel like a bloated tick! When I sit down it's hard to breathe...I'm out of breath super easy...and I feel like my belly is gonna burst. I don't have any cervical change though so that's good right? Just wondering how much more I can go before my water breaks. I'm getting bigger every week..i keep waiting for it to stop but no such luck. Thanks for getting back to me..if you have any other info I'm all ears..or eyes lol :-)
  • @Mnbaby3, a normal AFI (amniotic fluid index) is anywhere between 5-20, so 30.4 is very high. I had this with my daughter 5 years ago. I measured about 26 weeks when I was 20 weeks and between 4-6 weeks larger from then on. My AFI when they told me about it was around 28ish I think. I have type 1 diabetes and while my blood sugars were okay, they weren't as good as they should have been. This means that the baby produces more "waste" and that adds to the amniotic fluid. Just like when a person with diabetes experiences a higher blood sugar, they are thirsty and tend to drink more which leads to urinating more. At one point, they talked to me about reducing amniotic fluid but they never thought it was that bad because my daughter was always looking great. I was already being followed by a high risk OB because of my diabetes so I was seen ALOT (my pregnancy with my son prior to her was also complicated by my diabetes and the fact that he had multiple birth defects). I had biweekly NST's and had a biophysical ultrasound pretty much every appt to check on her. I did have contractions regularly from about 27 weeks on and was seen in L&D at least once a week for fluids and meds. They finally sent me home with meds as well. I didn't start dialating (more than a fingertip or 1 cm) until the day I had her at 35 weeks. She was 5 weeks early and weighed 6 lbs 10 oz, not huge but a big baby for that early. She had no complications, and was perfectly healthy. She stayed with us the whole time and came home with us as well.

Good luck!
  • The reason they may want to induce early is because with excess fluid, you ate at an increased risk of a prolapsed cord, which means the cord drops down into the birth canal before baby and that could cut off the life to your baby from you. Also, you're at increased risk for placental abrution and hemmoraging. Not to scare you, but I too was at risk for these things. Luckily for me, my fluid levels were greatly reduced the farther along I got because the cause of my Poly was from GD, and since we got the GD under control, my levels dropped significantly. So all those things I listed above are what make yoh high risk when you have Poly. Also, excess fluid means baby is at increased risk for getting the cord wrapped around its neck since they have more swimming room, which is why they do so many ultrasounds and NST's. At least that was why I was being so closely monitored. Just remember, you are high risk and any time you feel like something is not right, go to labor and delivery to be checked out. I was up there at least once a week once I hit 32 weeks. It gets old and you feel silly, but trust me, you'll stress a ton less and everyone knows less stress means happier baby. :)
  • @juliek77 thanks so much for the info! Ugh now im getting worried since my number is so high.. The practitioner seemed nervous with me?? Idk said she didn't feel comfortable making decisions with high risk patients...so I'm gonna be a wreck until I see my doc on wed. At my 30 wk baby was measuring 4 1/2# already. Said if I even got close to term she thinks he'll be, 10+ pounds. She seems to think I'll go early though. The strange thing is I don't have diabetes or gestational diabetes...they aren't sure why I have the poly. Was so glad to hear your daughter didn't have any complications..I've been stressing about that! Thanks again!
  • @BkE913 yeah I'm pretty much terriified so don't worry about it lol guess I'd rather know the risks though . I wish they knew why I got it. They haven't given me much info. The practitioner said
  • Ooops stupid phone...she said to talk delivery options with ob next week....that is a bit to worry about. She sent me to ld to check if fluid was leaking and the nurse acted like I was wasting her time. Makes me leary to go in ya know?? Thanks for the info I appreciate it. :-)