co-sleeper vs. bassinet

edited September 2011 in Equipment & Supplies
I have a beautiful bassinet but now I am starting to wonder if I should go buy a co-sleeper. I am not sure if spending the money is worth it. I plan to breast feed and I feel it would be easier just to roll over and grab her instead of getting in and out of bed each time. Will I have to get up a change her each time I feed her anyway? What should I do? Thank you for your suggestions.

Comments

• I change my son at every feeding. He's only had diaper rash once and it was cuz he had the runs. Can you put the bassinet next to your bed? I have one but didn't end up using it. My son would scream every time I laid him in it.
  • @aydonsmommy I can put it next to my bed but it is really high so I would have to all the way up and then lean over. I think with that getting up would just be easier. I am afraid I will need a c section because she is breech and I am 34 weeks. If that is the case the co sleeper would be better. I just hate spending the money when I have a perfectly good bassinet. Do you use a co sleeper or bassinet?
  • I have an arms reach mini co sleeper. I LOVE it! I dont even get out of bed, I just change my son on my bed feed him then put him back. its easier with every little noise they make you wanna check them, with this your dont even need to lift your head! Mine cost like 170. You could use the bassinet in another room for you're baby to lay
  • Oh they have attachments to raise the co sleeper to match up with your bed.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @momaynot They sell a cosleeper bassinet. One side is equal to the mattress and can pull up to be a full side, you can easily see and get to baby (my favorite part), it's portable both in the house (it has one set of wheels) and travel-wise, and the baby still has its own bed separate from yours. I have it and I LOVE it. It's from babies r us called arm's reach cosleeper. Runs about the same as a regular bassinet from BRU. I also change my son at every feeding, sometimes more often bc he's a peeing machine! Lol And about baby still being breech at 34 weeks, s/he can still turn! :-)
  • My son co sleeps. Just in my arms. I want a co-sleeper though. I would worry much less and sleep much better! I put him in the pack n play to start out but around 3 am he always ends up in bed with us.
  • I personally got a bassinet. Only because our bed is smallish and it would make me too nervous having him in bed with us. However, when my brother and his wife had their baby I bought them an awesomeeee cosleeper from walmart online for like 50 dollars I think. Maybe less. It has bumpers on the side so you won't roll over on them and a dim light on it so you can just turn that on to breastfeed without disturbing your man or waking the baby up too much.
  • I got a graco pack n play, that has a newborn sleeper/basinet attachment for on top of it and it has a changing station. Its at the perfect height for my bed. So I don't have to get out of bed, I just lean over and pick her up. And then this way, when she's older and sleeps in her room in her crib, I can still use the pack n play when we go to see family/friends or when I need to contain her during the day to clean or cook.
  • I have a bassinet I HAD to have for over $200 it self rocks and plays music...well I ended up with an emergency section and sitting up and getting out of bed was just too much on my tummy I was feeling like I was hit by a bus in the morning.so I got a sleeper from Burlington. I paid like $40 for it and its been great! its also pretty small so it doesn't take up too much space in my bed. I think its made by 1st years(?) Walmart online also has it but Burlington was cheaper.
  • No idea :/ my sons crib made a good laundry hamper lol we always co slept, easier to nurse. I have good things about the arms reach co sleeper though