Suboxone

edited March 2011 in Pregnant
Does anyone know the effects of suboxone/subutex on a unborn child? Currently on 2 mgs a day, which is next to nothing, but I would like to know the seriousness if there is any. Thanks

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Yes, sorry
  • edited March 2011
    Thanks, I am trying, it makes me super tired without it, and I can't function at all. Sleep all day, no motivation. Any tips for stopping?
  • Nevermind, I just asked a friend of mine the name of the med she was on a couple years ago (it sounded similar). Its for opiate dependence, correct? If its what I think it is, its a narcotic, so its most likely depending on whether or not your doctor feels the pros outweigh the cons, plus most likely be closely monitored.
  • Your doctor will most likely wean you off of it, since you don't want to go thru withdrawls. It could be dangerous.
  • I started at 8 mgs about a year ago, when I found out I was pregnant, I am 7 weeks now, I was at about 3-4 mgs a day, which is really nothing to someone who really needs it. But for some reason I can't seem to just stop, our even cut down to 1 mgs without the start of withdrawl, I know it is not good, just wanted some insight from someone who maybe was in the same situation at some point. Thanks for your help.
  • fortunately I don't suffer from pain. Just liked to take meds.I know you can take all tylenol products and they are safe. How far along are you?
  • Do doctors actually prescribe pain meds to women who are preggers?
  • Your doctor will most likely wean you off of it, since you don't want to go thru withdrawls. It could be dangerous. I was very sick 18mos ago, almost died. I was on Fentanyl, over 300mc/hr (yes, that's 300, not a typo) as someone who is 350lbs shouldn't of even had a dose that high. Over the course of 3mos (I was in CCU which is a step above intensive care, more extreme as I was in a coma for 2mos) I got down to 75mc/hr, when I went home I was on the patches (IV in hospital) at 72mc/hr-one was a 50mc the other was 12mc/hr) they lasted for 3dys, they I had to change them. The first month home I went down to just the 50mc/hr because since it was 2 different prescriptions I had to pay as 2 scripts--$250 for each. I got tired of paying $500/mo for just that. After 2 more months I just quit using them all together. I was then on Dilaudid, but it wasn't working, so I quit taking it. Then I was on Oxycodone & Vicodin, but again wasn't working, so I went off them. I didn't want to be taking stuff that could cause problems if it wasn't even working. Then 2 months later I found out I was pregnant so I was very thankful I had already gone off all of them. I am allowed to still take Vicodin, but I don't since it doesn't work, I'm already on permanent meds (blood thinners, GERD/acid reflux/ulcer medication) so I don't want to add to it. Please talk to your doctor, see what your options are.
  • I was also on Ambien, Klonopin (clonazepam), Skelaxin, but switched to Flexeril (muscle relaxers), Lyrica (nerve pain). I have Lupus, so living with a disease is hard enough, but being pregnant makes it a lot more difficult. If you go to my profile, you can read my story I had written to another member on here. Its a bit in depth, but its easier than typing it all out again :)
  • Thank you for sharing
  • Suboxone can cause birth defects in a baby they can be mental or physical. I was on 8mg subs for awhile and my Dr said its actually safer to be on drugs such as percocet and vicodin (i was originally on 30mg of oxycodone every 4hrs for a back injury). With personal experience with the suboxone ill tell u even if they ween u down u will still suffer withdraws to a degree especially if u have been on it awhile and have a dependence to it such as I did/do. The first 4 days r the worse. I was exhAusted nauseous and had horrid diarrhea for about 2 weeks. My body ached to the point I wanted to die...but know that part is temporary. My biggest struggle was the mental addiction to all the narcotics I was on. It's been about a month since I've taken anything other than tylenol and I'm just now starting to feel better. My baby has gone thru a lot including multiple surgeries on my kidney and now blood clots and I've had to do genetic testing to make sure he isn't deformed now. It's heartbreaking knowing I was on those meds and didn't know I was expecting. Just know u can overcome the addiction the physical part is easier but still hard. It's the mental addiction ur really going to struggle with. I struggle everyday with it and its harder than anything I've ever done. Just think of the baby inside of u b4 u POP that pill. Take a week off of work to detox if u need to and know we r here for ur support. I've just gone thru it all so I could help guide u if u need it. Hope this help u some momma. And remember pregnancy is just temporary but right now ur body doesn't just belong to u...ur sharing it. :)
  • Thank you kingsmamma, I needed to hear that. I just have to be done with it and all the doctors tip toe around it, my obgyn didn't even know what it was. I know I need to stop and have started a rapid detox, I am afraid if I am going through withdrawal so will my baby? Thank you for your help
  • U need to actually c a suboxone Doctor. My bestfriend is pregnant and she was switched to subutex. Apparently the baby can still withdrawal if u detox urself. After birth they informed her that her baby will have to go thru some detoxification but not nearly as bad if she were on methadone or heroin, or anything like that. A day or two, I think they said. But there r only certain doctors that have a suboxone license and can provide u the information u need. Find one online and go discuss this with them. I would hate for u to do the wrong thing.
  • I was on 16mg suboxone for 2 years and trying to conceive for 4 years. When I found out I was preg, I was switched to subutex, since its the naloxone which causes birth defects. I live near Vanderbilt where they did a 2 year study on the effects of this drug on pregnancy and infants. A category c drug in pregnancy just usually means it hasn't been throughly studied. I don't feel like giving a whole life story on here, so if you have any questions (I'm was a paramedic and currently 12 credits away from my BA in psychology) feel free to email me at diana.hale80@gmail.com and I would love to tell you more about my experience.
  • Hey msdelrea!! I have been trying to find you to ask how your doing, and how ur lupus is affecting u since ur farther along. Im the other women with lupus too. I hope ur doing better!!