Help please .. 6wk old constipated

edited October 2011 in Babies Health
What do i do?? He's miserable. Karl syrup Isnt working... what can he have??

Comments

• Go out and get prunes in baby food. Place a teaspoon in 1oz of formula. That's what my Ped told me to do. Works wonders :)
  • My son had to take miralax for it. Its safe for infants. Just put a lil bit in milk like a 4th of what an adult would take. It will soften his stool if its hard.
  • You can do a glycerin suppository. I remember we had to do that with our 1st. Instant reaction, so make sure you have a pee-pee or changing pad underneath.
  • Use a q tip dipped in vaseline and stimulate the hole going slightly inside like a suppository. It works wonders.
  • I've heard of grite water...for pickups gas and stuff like that
  • Sometimes the Karo take time but they have baby prune juice on the baby aisle my doc said to give my baby water n those suppository n cut them to fit but I couldn't do it they big to just put in hard to cut I just used a lil Karo n it worked n I didn't want to do that n started giving a lil prune juice for babies
  • :( I'm trying everything. qtip hasn't worked.. Idk how far to push it in and ive been trying the suppository but he screams and it flies right back out... I gave an ounce of water an hr ago... Idk
  • Mint tea! Buy fresh mint boil in water then wait to cool if baby doesn't like the taste put a little sugar but very little
  • How long has it been and is he bf or formula?
  • @augustbaby its been abt two days and he's now being formula fed on enfamil ar
  • One baby spoon full of apple sauce or pour apple juice in the bottle nipple... Works for my baby...
  • edited October 2011
    Also my doc said he might not poop everyday that's normal my baby hadn't poop in 4 days when I took him to doc n he was 4wks n I was freaked out but my doc wasn't to concerned he was like I can do suppository water oh and pedia lite (that worked at first) but he will poop soon its ok unless diarrhea or not eating
  • @Hot2Cold87
    yeah, I know they don't everyday but when he tries he screams and there'll be a little piece sitting there and I have to take it out with a wipe... it makes me so sad
  • Pedialyte is great stuff. I used it today for my sons constipation. If it doesn't work by itself, 2 oz of it mixed with one tsp brown sugar works awesome.
  • @Aydonsmommy
    really? if its safe for a 6 week old that'll be my next route to the juices...
  • Awww well pedia lite is fine have you talk to your baby pediatrician?
  • @hot2cold87
    yeah she said to continue with karo syrup and give him prune juice with water till he gets regular
  • I always used 1/2 teaspoon of brown sugar in 1 oz of warm water and it always worked in an hour or two
  • thank u so much ladies, now I have plenty to try until I find the best trick
  • Prune Juice. Pour a little into the bottle with formula, or just give alone. Also the Pedia-Lax suppositories. Cut it in half so its not such a big suppository.
  • Yea sometimes my baby cries when she's tryin to poop & I feel so bad. I used the glycerin suppository. I cut it in half then rubbed it down to smooth the edges over. U don't stick it in far, just a lil bit and wiggle it side to side, u should get an instant reeaction. The Karo syrup should work eventually too, maybe try putting in a little more than u have been. I hope ur baby gets relief soon! I cried the 1st time my baby was constipated like that cuz I seen how uncomfortable and in pain she was. Good luck! **Poop dust** lol
  • @oc86
    lmao @ poop dust
  • Yeah, its a trick I've been using since about 4 weeks. I've only once had to add the brown sugar.