baby shower..venting

edited February 2011 in May 2011
So my mother in law is planning a baby shower for me on the 19th of February. I don't live close enough for my friends from high school or my family to attend so there's just going to be a few there. And by few I mean just maybe 3 people not including my inlays that are going to be there. I was going to invite more but I just learned that one girl os going to be having a get together that day as well. ( she didn't know because she was away from the office so I can't blame her for that) so now im bummed out because I knew it was going to be kinda boring before that but I now I know it's going to be worse. I know I shouldn't be ungrateful for the shower but im afraid im going to have an awful time with just a few people. Am I just being a big baby?

I can't change the date because my mother in law already printed the invitations and sent them out.

Comments

• Are they at the same time? You could ask to move yours a day or do a morning one, just plan your snacks to be breakfast like sausages or little sausages in croissants (pig in a blanket) stuff like that. Just when they rsvp you can tell them its a loyal earlier like 11 so even if they go to hers they can atop by you know?
  • I don't know she didn't even ask me what time I wanted to have it.
  • I am in the same situation. I am just going to go and enjoy the bonding time with my female inlaws. I personally do not like baby showers any way, and my inlaws are so great and have already given us so much the idea of opening gifts from them makes me feel uncomfortable like I am being greedy.
  • Maybe one of your girlfriends can throw you a seperate shower? Do you have a best friend you could drop hints to? It doesn't even have to cost a lot, just your group of friends and a couch! Lol
  • I agree with katlilly
  • @jorjiegirl I don't mind baby showers but my in laws just act awkward around me all the time. I've never been rude to them but I feel like they feel forced around me or something. Im happy that they even thought of throwing me one.

@katlilly I think my office will throw me one since they seem to throw everyone (even the dads) a baby shower. And im not asking for.much. hell im not expecting gifts I just don't want everyone just sitting on the couch looking at each other and just being quiet
  • So check this out my mother in law was having two baby showers in one to save her the trouble but now the other baby mother decided to have one on her own guess she didn't want to share the spotlight not even for one day guess I know how its going to be when the babies get here plus on top of all this thay want my mother in law to help the get there's together and she has mine together crazy huh!
  • Wow I would be a bit upset
  • I am having mt own shower. I am planning everything for it too.
  • Undecided about a for sure date for my baby showr any suggestions im due may22nd
  • @2nd_child its up to you. I.had mine last month because I didn't want to have it at 8-9months and feel really tired and miserable like my friends were. Im due may 18
  • it is so uncomfortable dealing with in-laws who are that way. Thats why i declared since i was 3 mths No babyshower!! but i gave in n let my close bffs to give me one
  • Do you think they are just lying so they could surprise you? My friends did that to me.... if not then I agree that you could see about having someone else throw you a separate shower. People do that all the time. As for you being nervous, I understand...I felt the same way but it always works out in the end...
  • My best friend threw my shower, but it ended up it being me throwing my own shower. And ti make it worse right when it was time to open gifts my family was drunk........ It was awful.
  • Wow. Yeah I had only 4 friends show up. Not including my two SIL and MIL. it was still somewhat fun. My friend is really funny so she kept us entertained. But it was nice of them to throw me the shower but I wish more.people would have showed up. I gave out like 20+ invitations. But I did get some gifts from the people that didn't show up. Im having another shower this friday at work so that will be fun im sure
  • Ladies at work asked for a list of things I wanted, so I did. The youngest one there took on the job of shopping, I ended up taking back $50 of stuff I already had and wasn't on my list. I was like really why did you ask if wasn't going to use list. The ladies from Sunday school gave me a diaper shower. Which was great, can always use diapers and I got up to size 3.
  • The shower at work was fun. They got chinese food, wings, fried chicken, fruit trays, etc. There was so much food! And a lot of people came. They all chipped in and got me a $100 visa gift card too.which will really come in handy!